2 questions

Brad508

Non-member
First: my nano tank it's still cycling been cycling for a month, I'm using r.o water with reef crystal salt mix, love sand bottom, lots of live rock, few dead rock, have snails and hermits only in there.. I keep getting like a film on top of the water cannot feel it when puting your hand in there but can see it in the glare of the light... It seems like my tank is never clear.... So are these issues because it's cycling or do you think it's my filtration?

2nd: with all my live and dead rock I did not use I set it up in a 20gallon bare bottom, is there anything I should add to help with the cycle? Thank you on advance!

There are chemicals/ bacteria boosters you can add to speed the cycle up.

As for your other tank. Do you have any surface skimming? Often times what happens in a nano is proteins on the surface accumulate. A skimmer or surface skimmer will help remove that film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I do not have a skimmer, lots of flow around the top of the surface. So it I add a skimmer it will help with problem? Do you recommend one for the tank, 28 gallon nano?

I had a 25 gallon cube. I always got the coating on top from over feeding. You need your tank to have some surface skimmer. You can look up surface skimmers and can DYI one. It will clear that film on the surface. A full skimmer could be needed if you have a large bioload in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The film is why a protein skimmer is good to have. Ever been to a foamy beach? Same type of excess nutrient "stuff" being agitated up, and removed per say. A over flow setup will help you.
If your hanging for a while in the hobby I would just accept the inevitable, and prep for a sumped system, no matter how small of a tank. It'll allow you more flexibility, and a better platform of stability for the long term.

My first tank on here was sumpless, and no protein skimmer, and went well. However, it needed more frequent water changes to stay well.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back