$20 to whoever can ID this growth

Johnson556

Non-member
I've posted this on a few forums now and have spoke with many people I would consider "gurus" as to what is growing on my rocks. I started with dry rock almost two years ago and went through all the uglies; dino/cyano, etc.

I had a post on Reef2Reef that got some people engaged however the final assumption was a "carpet variation of bubble algae". When examining it up close it has no "bubble" to it although one of the videos may make it look like that. It has a dark green surface, white base, and a carpet like growth with a structure like a dense sponge/bread. There are no vesicles like all other types of bubble algae. It breaks off and when grinding it between your fingers feels like stale bread/sand, would identify it as "crusty". It apparently doesn't get affected by flow because it grows wherever. I'm not positive on this but it may first start as a thin red film on the rock and eventually converts to the green gunk. When it is in the thin red film state is has a slimy texture to it. I have never had "high" phosphates or nitrates to the point any of the typical algae has grown anywhere other than my ATS.

I'm under the assumption it is some type of fungus and am not sure how to cure it other than manual removal(which would be impossible at this point). If you can provide me with the exact name of what this junk is and how to cure it I will gladly venmo/paypal you $20.

If you want a sample to view under a microscope or want to infect your own tank just let me know.

Some Photos

Attachments

• C7CE7ECC-600E-4C47-8BE9-0CC84B56D7BC.jpeg
    C7CE7ECC-600E-4C47-8BE9-0CC84B56D7BC.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 197
  • CCADAF06-41D2-4EE2-BE91-0ADDA377A83A.jpeg
    CCADAF06-41D2-4EE2-BE91-0ADDA377A83A.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 200
That looks like some kind of sponge to me, I had stuff like that a while back when I had an over abundance of nutrients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back