29 rimless biocube build

About a 1 1/2 weeks ago i added a red and blue led grow bulb to replace the white 5700k i was using on the dyi ATS in my 2nd chamber. The white one worked well, got the growth going but figured why not try a new one.
I harvested this past sunday..see pics.
This is about 2 weeks of growth. I probably could have shaved 4-5 days off and harvested sooner, but no ill effects.
The tank is doing great so far! I'm really happy with the ATS mod, i will have better tests for everything soon and can begin to dial in the light schedule on the scrubber to allow a little nitrate and super low phosphate. At the moment my crappy api kit reads 0 on both.
Also, that ats seems to be a pod breeding ground. My tank is still swarming with pods since they bloomed almost a month ago.
Fat fish lol
DIY ATS looks good. Good growth.

Reactions: KJB
Finally I'll be able to test accurately!!!
Still waiting on Nyos Nitrate & Mag kits.

Attachments

• 20200604_181728.jpg
    20200604_181728.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 320
Glad i got the V2 hanna set, salinity meter instead of Ph meter with regular version. I have a basic Ph test kit if needed but don't plan to chase Ph too much.. I'm a fan of good aeration and open windows.
Been using a cheap hydrometer. Have had everything stable at, what i thought was 34ppt...
Calibrated the digital salinity meter from Hanna...
31.4ppt!
It was stable so it's cool but definitely NOT where i want to be.
Just mixed up some super salty mix and willl slowly raise to 34ppt over the coming week.

I want to get a hanna test kit just have to decide between that and an ato
I had the same thought and decisions.
I considered the red sea kit that has everything, but while it is more accurate than the crappy api i had, its still was a pita to do all the testing. That makes me want to test less... but thats me.
I decided to get the good test kits now because i wont spend time and money on more difficult corals unless i can make them thrive. Without accurate testing i wouldnt be able to. Again, thats me.
I'll keep manual top off for now, do water changes to reduce the need to dose alot, and spend money getting some corals. Eventually I'll run into a deal on a tunze ato.

ATO isn’t really needed. I manually topped off my tanks for years. At the 24 min mark Wincey talks about her ATO.

Yes an a.t.o in not really neccessary but using that same argument you could say test are not really necessary. Again no argument just in opinion... so either of us is right just wanted to a** my opinion.

Yes test kits are great to figure out problems and to get ahead of them... but if you are not dosing and see no problem in your tank and corals are growing and you are doing consistent water changes you can absoulty run a reef tank without testing.

Same with an a.t.o you can absoulty run a reef tank without one just the thing with the a.t.o after purchase you will wonder why it took me so long to buy this sure you will not be saying that with test.

I dont know I.M.O buy the test as you need them... that's what I did now I have red sea, a.t.i hannah checkers, t.d.s, p.h, refroctometer, so on and so on lol didn't buy all at once...

ATO isn’t really needed. I manually topped off my tanks for years. At the 24 min mark Wincey talks about her ATO.

Yes an a.t.o in not really neccessary but using that same argument you could say test are not really necessary. Again no argument just in opinion... so either of us is right just wanted to a$$ my opinion.

Yes test kits are great to figure out problems and to get ahead of them... but if you are not dosing and see no problem in your tank and corals are growing and you are doing consistent water changes you can absoulty run a reef tank without testing.

Same with an a.t.o you can absoulty run a reef tank without one just the thing with the a.t.o after purchase you will wonder why it took me so long to buy this sure you will not be saying that with test.

I dont know I.M.O buy the test as you need them... that's what I did now I have red sea, a.t.i hannah checkers, t.d.s, p.h, refroctometer, so on and so on lol didn't buy all at once...
I agree that getting an ATO is one moments when “you will wonder why it took me so long to buy this.” The daily top off chore becomes a biweekly chore instead and gives you some days off. You can also go on a vacation without adding excess RODI to the tank or using an upside down “glug jug”.

I also agree that you could go for long periods of time without testing if your tank is established and stable. It can be better to not chase numbers if you have a good “feel” for your tank. This is also one of the biggest advantages of a soft coral tank.

Hanna checkers also aren’t really needed. The only Hanna checker that I had for a long time was the chlorine checker. I’ve compared my Hanna Alk checker to Salifert and the results are nearly the same. Hanna is convenient but more expensive and the reagents change each batch. I end up using 2 tests per reagent bottle to find the variance between the current bottle and the new bottle. I prefer using the Hanna checker, but it is expensive and every time I go through a reagent bottle I think to myself that I could’ve bought a coral instead.

Finally I'll be able to test accurately!!!
Still waiting on Nyos Nitrate & Mag kits.
These are very nice to have. I wish the Hanna salinity checker had been out before I bought the Milwaukee. The extra steps of cleaning the test basin area of the Milwaukee deters me from using it.

These are very nice to have. I wish the Hanna salinity checker had been out before I bought the Milwaukee. The extra steps of cleaning the test basin area of the Milwaukee deters me from using it.
Honestly, I spurged on the Hanna for ease of use first, accuracy 2nd. I definitely hear you about reagents cost. I had no idea they were inconsistent. I figured the germans had consistently down pat, like with all the other things they produce.

I love the salinity tester! They give enough calibration fluid to calibrate 1x per month for 2 1/2 years. Also, i just swish it in distilled water after, dry with a tissue, good to go.

This is my first real venture in to reef/ corals and i really want to make it a great experience. No doubt learning curve and issues like any tank, but i wanted to give myself the best chance to succeed. More, and accurate testing will help me with the process. Other may not need that same motivation for testing regularly.

I agree that getting an ATO is one moments when “you will wonder why it took me so long to buy this.” The daily top off chore becomes a biweekly chore instead and gives you some days off. You can also go on a vacation without adding excess RODI to the tank or using an upside down “glug jug”.

I also agree that you could go for long periods of time without testing if your tank is established and stable. It can be better to not chase numbers if you have a good “feel” for your tank. This is also one of the biggest advantages of a soft coral tank.

Hanna checkers also aren’t really needed. The only Hanna checker that I had for a long time was the chlorine checker. I’ve compared my Hanna Alk checker to Salifert and the results are nearly the same. Hanna is convenient but more expensive and the reagents change each batch. I end up using 2 tests per reagent bottle to find the variance between the current bottle and the new bottle. I prefer using the Hanna checker, but it is expensive and every time I go through a reagent bottle I think to myself that I could’ve bought a coral instead.
if I see a deal on a tunze ato, barring an emergency need, that's my next equipment purchase for sure!!
The benefits are beyond question!!!
Im looking forward to making it a little easier to manage the tank.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back