4 gallon nano reef pics

PasstheTorch

BRS Member
i got out of the hooby for almost 6 months and i missed it too much, so to get my feet wet and see how i do i started a nano.
its been running for a month, done its cycle, and it was time for some coral.
it has a 36 led light system with 21 whites 3 blues 3 reds 3 greens, and also a small 10,000 k t5 bulb.
here are some pics, there isnt much in there yet becuase i didnt want to shock such a little system by adding too much at once, but more coral will be on its way soon enough.

DSC01474.jpg
DSC01488.jpg
DSC01491.jpg
DSC01483.jpg
DSC01495.jpg

pics

here is the rest

Attachments

• DSC01496.jpg
    DSC01496.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,238
  • DSC01498.jpg
    DSC01498.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,229
Hey we are looking into doing the very same thing. Which tank is this that you used? Also what two light fixtures are you running? Actually if you wouldn't mind posting or PM'ing me the entire build that would be amazing. We have been doing a ton of research on it, but just can't pull the trigger and which one to buy. Awesome looking corals by the way!

i looked forever too, and when i saw this i was in love! haha i went on ebay and typed in nano reef. found this one.its called a finnex 4 gallon pico reef. you can buy it with just the tank, tank and filter, or the led light too. it cost me 65 bucks shipped to my door in like 3 days. the led light is ok, but imo wasnt really strong enough for coral. so in the sellers store i found this and now i want this haha http://cgi.ebay.com/Finnex-Nano-Ref...main_0&var=&hash=item746a9a0874#ht_3305wt_922 and the tank will be easy to find from that link because its the same seller, but im using and old t5 for now. and as far as the filter i had my own better one than it came with, put it on it and made myself a surface skimmer with a piece of pvc pipe, and it works like a charm!! im very pleased with the tank and the glass\ seals are of high quality. the light i just linked you to is very nice. i read some reviews on it and if u wanted to u could keep anything from shrooms to sps. i hope this help you out! and if you get this one or a different one make sure you post pics or a build thread!

Those are the ones that we have been looking into, glad that we are on the same wave length! keep us posted on how things are doing on it!!

haha thats funny! well there a great little tank. one tip is that you want to stack your rock high and to the back because its tall, and you would want more floor space, and places to put coral on.

good! im glad u did. i think you will be happy, and what an adventure it will be. i am having so much fun with mine, and i hope u do to! im going to be trying to get more rock to stack it up higher today due to my snow day from school! :)

Last edited:
Good for you and being home from school and using your time wisely! keep me updated on how things are going with your nano, what works, what doesn't. Just waiting to get it delivered to start deciding whats going in it. Going to take it as slow as I can in adding livestock...which is harder than it sounds, I have the patience of a 5 year old.

i will be more than happy to keep you posted, and i hope you get it soon! and the slower you go the better your results will be imo. and im am the same way! i wanted to start putting coral in it on day one, but we all know what would happen then...... haha but as i fill it in more and more there will be many pics. will you do a thread on yours as it progresses? that would be cool.

oh yes there will be a full build thread on our nano project. its just funny that she, my gf (turtletrax) looks to go down from our dt tank (26 gal to 4 gal)...and I'm only looking up! I think there may be an LED diy lighting addition to this one to see if we can keep SPS in it, we'll see. Great Looking little tank btw. Which of their filters are you running (HOB or canister)? Good luck with the little project!

Skeeter

Ya I'm going to have to do a light upgrade to because i would love sps. i was trying to find a good led diy kit and i think i hit a gold mine. the company is called boostled. theyhave only been around for a little while but they are great. they have a par 30 lamp that is so powerful you could keep anything you wouldever want, and it can do much bigger tanks to. its 75 dollars but imo wellworth the money. justsomething tothink about. oh and the lamp puugs into a normal light bulb socket. so a small clip on fixture from llike walmart wouldbe needed. but great product. im getting one in a week or so.

new light! im in love with it to!

boostled 1 white 4 blue par 30 on a custom light fixture i made for 8 dollars.
here it is! :)

Attachments

• DSC01533.jpg
    DSC01533.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,060
  • DSC01532.JPG
    DSC01532.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 1,318
  • DSC01530.JPG
    DSC01530.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,180
  • DSC01534.JPG