40 breeder build

Pat02026

Non-member
Hi everyone. Some may recognize me, I’ve been out of the hobby and off the forum here for a few years, after struggling with my last tank which I poured so much effort into and could never get it up and running well. I’m diving back in, but going to take it easy and not jump back into it too hardcore. So I relocated from Medway to Taunton up near the norton area. I’m hoping to have a better experience this time around, as I battled with terrible water quality in medway. So I picked up some nice equipment here over the last couple weeks from some members. Here’s the rundown on the system so far:
40 breeder display
Drilled for two 3/4” returns and an 800gph Fiji Cube external overflow herbie style drains
20 long sump outfitted with Fiji Cube sump kit with two filter socks, skimmer chamber, fuge chamber, and bubble trap/return.
Coral Box dc skimmer
Current DC return pump
Tunze Osmolator ATO
Lighting is a pair of Hipargero LED’s and a pair of reefradiance LED strips wh
Wave makers TBD

I have already built a water storage/mixing station, located in the basement directly below the tank.
Twin 32 gallon brute barrels, stacked Via Bakers rack. Upper tank is outfitted with a mechanical float valve for RODI storage. It is equipped with a valve for container filling and lower barrel filling.
The lower barrel is the mixing barrel. Inside is a Jebao DC3000 pump which is responsible for mixing/circulation, and also for providing container filling (small water changes) or pumping water upstairs for large water changes and for the initial fill of the tank, which worked great.
As of right now, there is 40lb of Carib sea Fiji Pink sand and 20 or so pounds of rock that has been cycled Via Dr Tim’s for 5-6 weeks.
I have approx 40 lb of Carib sea purple rock, new in box as well as about 60 pounds or so of rock currently in bleach soak to rid any pests and organics all of which I will pick through to come up with hopefully a nice aquascape. I’ve got some water in the display and a small circ pump already, and should be topped off and up and running as a full system tonight.

ultimate goal is a few small fish, the wife wants an onyx and a snowflake pair, and I’m interested in some softies and maybe some easy LPS. I’m not going to run straight for SPS this time around, as the last time I did that I got fed up and quit instead of taking a step back and regrouping!! I sure do miss that old system, I wonder if it’s still floating around here somewhere. I’m not even sure who ended up with it as it was so long ago at this point.

Anyway, just figured I’d say hi and give a little background to those who I haven’t met here yet! I’m looking forward to sharing progress here with you all.
-Pat

Attachments

• 164366A6-AD9A-45CD-BF84-BC7E8B5EF749.jpeg
    164366A6-AD9A-45CD-BF84-BC7E8B5EF749.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 321
  • 6FACA74C-1FA3-4FF4-A507-4E9013FDF30E.jpeg
    6FACA74C-1FA3-4FF4-A507-4E9013FDF30E.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 320
  • D0BAFBDE-35DD-4257-9868-5710A865BDFB.jpeg
    D0BAFBDE-35DD-4257-9868-5710A865BDFB.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 326
  • DCF25E56-7D62-47F0-9CFE-839AEBD2622E.jpeg
    DCF25E56-7D62-47F0-9CFE-839AEBD2622E.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 318
I love the brute Cans stand were you bought the
That is just a standard bakers rack type shelving, available at Lowe’s/Home Depot. It fit the barrels perfectly and is plenty strong for the job. Much better option than building one, that’s for sure! They are fairly inexpensive too.

We are through the initial cycle, and into the ugly phase. Diatom bloom has peaked and now subsiding making way for some green (assuming algae) starting. Timing is perfect on that since today was the arrival of the reef tank starter package from Indo Pacific sea farms. What a great setup we got from them for the system. Crabs, many different snail species, stars, worms, tons of varied pods and phyto, sand starter, and refugium mud. They also provided a few little bits of varied macro algae, we will see if any grows out in the fuge or if it’s too early / not enough nutrient supply. We added two blue Chromis last weekend and they are doing just fine. I’m holding off for another few days before I clean the glass, figure I’ll let the clean up crew settle in and have a feast before we start trying to make things look good.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back