40 breeder display and sump

Hey coral junkie when you made your sump were did you get the 1/4 glass and did that store/person cut it? I got a 20g I would like to make into a sump for my next tank it will probably be a 40g

Hey coral junkie when you made your sump were did you get the 1/4 glass and did that store/person cut it? I got a 20g I would like to make into a sump for my next tank it will probably be a 40g
I measured out the dimensions of each baffle and had a glazer make them for me. They round the edges for me and usually can do it in one day, I think it was $30-$40.

20180305_185420_1520294440941.jpg

really beautiful tank thus far, makes me miss my 40b, it was where I started as well. Perfect size tank IMO (unless you get itch to go bigger ;)). JC, how does the overflow work in regards to flow rate? Not that I'm knocking your design at all but it is somewhat unique and I would think such a small overflow would make a very low flow /turnover rate?

Awesome nem as well btw

really beautiful tank thus far, makes me miss my 40b, it was where I started as well. Perfect size tank IMO (unless you get itch to go bigger ;)). JC, how does the overflow work in regards to flow rate? Not that I'm knocking your design at all but it is somewhat unique and I would think such a small overflow would make a very low flow /turnover rate?

Awesome nem as well btw
I'm not sure what the flow rate is but the chaeto and pod population is growing and the skimmer is working great.... I'm assuming the flow is pretty good, maybe could speed up a little bit but it raises the water level too high in the display. I'm thinking because the overflow is not large enough to handle the flow rate, looking back at it I probably would've added 2 overflows one in each back corner but the purpose of this setup is a budget build grow out tank. I'm trying to grow some coral from frags into small colonies. Ultimate plan is a 6 foot in wall system in my basement.

I'm in the later stages of the nitrogen cycle. My nitrites are about 2ppm and nitrates are about 4 or 5ppm. Due to the rarity of 40 gallon breeder stands I decided to try a metal racking from home depot. It holds 1,000lbs and fits 2-40 gallon breeders one on top of the other. I estimate a total of about 700lbs including sump, rocks and sand. This setup is in a sitting room in my home and will house my current livestock until I finish my basement man cave. I'm building an in the wall setup. I'm thinking a 200g predator tank with some type of flashy looking eel as the centerpiece. I'm using a diy pvc overflow with a toms aqualifter to automatically start a siphon in case of a power outage. I took a 2inch black pvc pipe, cut it to size and with a dremel I notched teeth into it. I siliconed it to the bottom of the tank. It acts as a weir, the water spills over into it then my 3/4inch pvc overflow drains it into the sump. I ordered some glass to be cut so I could silicone baffles into the 40g breeder sump. The sump is very basic, it has 3 chambers and a bubble trap just before the return chamber. The first section of the sump is the largest section and will be filled with chaeto, I'm not sure what I will keep in the second chamber. I have a skimmer but I'm hoping the chaeto grows large enough and removes enough nutrients so I won't have to run it. Maybe I'll add more chaeto if I see that it's working well.
It will definitely grow with this LED it only cost 25 bucks. My charro Mixed with grape It grows pretty fast.

Attachments

• E4DF41D1-40FE-42FA-A4A5-36BDE94CA0CE.png
    E4DF41D1-40FE-42FA-A4A5-36BDE94CA0CE.png
    441 KB · Views: 454
Gotcha. I’ve done a chemiclean treatment in conjunction with a 3 day light out period with zero issues that’s why I was going to ask.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back