40 Breeder Peninsula Build

The beananimal overflow is never a bad idea no matter the tank size. I question the use of what looks like check valves on the returns as they use a metal spring to push against the back flow of the water. Those springs tend to rust after a year or so. And those did not look easily removed in the small space of the overflow.
Also with dual returns in my experience being fed by a single pump even if split evenly tends to favor 1 side or the other. In any system I have designed I eventually remove 1. Putting in a ball valve on the dominate side will help to regulate it if you are planning on using it for primary water movement.

Cilyjr. Thanks for the help. Those are not check valves they are just thread to slip adapters because I bought the wrong bulkheads online.

And for the return I purchased a gate valve to regulate. I'm hoping this will be all I need for flow but we shall see.

you can put enough flow in the tank with that but you will need a big pump. the downsides will be extremely fast flow through the sump which can decrease nutrient export, your flow will be single directional, and you may find more "dead" spots (areas not getting much flow). the single direction flow is the biggest downside to penn tanks that i have seen. nobody would want to put a pump on the opposite side of the overflow (myself included). anyway good luck with the build i will keep looking in and put in my 2 cents fwiw.

i would try with just the return pump first i guess. i worry more about the fast flow through the sump more then the directional flow in the DT.

I would think an MP10 too far low may suck up sand and kick it around. Then again, I always ran mine high so I couldn't be sure.

I originally thought that but figured it would complicate things and add more holes. I will look into small pumps to add to my sump and see if I can come up with something.

IDK if you had seen my edit, but having a return from the bottom of the tank, means that during a power-out, it would essentially become an overflow I would think. And that'd be very bad...

Very good point stitch. Looks like I'll add a mp10 to front

What about a Sicce or Koralia hidden in one of their live rock encasement? You won't see the pump on the glass, just a wire coming out. IDK i'm just really trying to think of what could be done to get opposing flow on the front end without taking away from the look of the tank. There's gotta be a way...

When you say "front" of the tank, are you referring to the end with glass, or the end with the overflow? I think i'm confusing myself... Haha.

FWIW, if you have a vortech on the glass end, with the wire running down to the stand, then drill a hole into the stand for the wire to port through, that'd look pretty clean IMO.
Maybe put a rubber O-ring to make a tight seal after the wire is put in? I actually may do this on my own tank now that i've thought of it, because it'd certainly look great compared to having the wire run to the back of the tank and around to the inside. It'd be a straight shot right to the inside sump area where the controller box is.

Hmm...

Thanks turbosnail

Stitch that's exactly what I was going to do. I'm glad at least someone thinks it will be clean.

Going to finish piping and overflow today. Yehaww

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back