$40 lesson...

aresangel

Tim- 2020- Secretary, 2019 BRS President
BRS Member
So I stopped by Love the Reef yesterday.... great looking store nice fish selection, plus I had a $25 gift card so good time to go!

With the gift card and their Memorial Day weekend sale I got a diamond goby and two firefish. I am psyched!

I drop the fish in the tank after floating then and netting them in. My big clown rips a quarter of the goby’s back fin off while the font was avoiding the mean damselfish I have. I go eat dinner, come back and the firefish fins are tattered, goby mia, firefish hiding in caves and that stupid mean damselfish is trying to hunt them all down.

No sign this morning if any of the fish I just got. So my $40 lesson is it is time to ditch the damselfish!!! I think the clown fish would have let up over time, but the damsel is an @hole!! And too damn fast to catch. I spent 35 minutes trying to. Catch the think to no avail.

$40 down the drain, and only damselfish with a deathwish!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I am thinking about getting a small hook and bait for him... banish to sump until I can move him to the school tanks.

Not sure. Black/Grey with a large white spot on the side and looks like a darker black stripe on the gills area going up.

Ok good news may be a 5 dollar lesson! I found the goby in the overflow. He jumped out and the bigger started at him again.

This was war. I lost many battles but now he is in a 12x5x7 refugium until Tuesday.

Photo of damsel for ID @dz6t if you know what kind... let me know so I can hate him by his name.

The tank was on his side I feel like. Sliced up my hands on the rock chasing him, two bubble tipped anemones are on the front glass so they had a great time stinging the sh@t out of me... but I prevailed!! Pictures for evidence!

612c37eeb8a55f20540d08370e5b820a.jpg

This is the jerk.

Here are some battle scars
a21107bddd3cd82b35ea237bec844477.jpg

Other slices didn’t get blood.

49569f567b07b8d24df37bbd1d81768d.jpg

Some new anemone stings... I gotta move /sell those two!

It was a good day.

A white spot on the top region. Right infront orbits fin you can sort of see a darker stripe. But no other spots so either a really bad 3 spot, domino, or unknown damsel from my googling results.

Domino that is angry because he is missing the rest of his spots. Was probably bullied as a juvenile. If he had fingers he’d of been a school shooter. While in solitary he will only plot his revenge, there is no rehabilitation. If reintroduced to society he will return to his predatory behavior. Your in mass so there is no death penalty. 23 hr lockdown 1 hr solitary yard time.

So with the jerk in the sump overnight I saw the goby this morning. Yay!!!

Got home from hanging out with my family today... dead goby [emoji35]. One eye... we may be in mass but that guy is going to be banished for the rest of his life!!! Triple homicide should fall under federal jurisdiction.

I wonder if it would have survived if just the clownfish picked on it....

Any suggestions on getting them to play nice if I try again? Or is it a lost cause with a bully clown?

I want something to sift sand and firefish in the future but I don’t want to spend crazy money giving new victims to the clown!

I have a purple tang that is becoming a bully and I had an issue with him chasing newly added fish. I did the mirror trick and he instantly left the new fish alone and focused on himself, pretty funny to see.
I bring this up because the aggressive of my clown pair was right in there charging at her own reflection so should work the same for you. After a couple hours I removed the mirror and he was much better but still a little to focused on the new fish so re-added and by the end of the day even after removing the mirror he was pretty much leaving the new fish alone. Best of luck and hope it works the same for you.

Here is how well it worked on these two

Try the mirror. I’ve heard it work for others. I have a yellow tang that is so aggressive it even attacked a mandarin. Nobody attacks manadarins except other mandarins. The mirror would distract him but he is so aggressive that he would spread it out on all tank mates and the mirror.

Now he’s in solitary in my frag tank. Attacking his reflection in the glass. He spends all day going from reflection to reflection. He is criminally insane. Here in NH we use lethal injection. He doesn’t have arms. We used to hang from the neck until dead. He doesn’t have a neck either.

You can try electric chair, wait, it cant sit either.

Good news!!! With the domino in the sump it took a couple weeks but one of the firefish is alive and looks relatively unscathed!! So the clown isn’t as mean as she seems but the domino was just an ***hat. Takes me down to a 25$ lesson!

Back