3a61d2946c4aa415cca228aafa53ab87.jpg

59a952040cde2212ca8d84599d26ecce.jpg

e26b1b383da8379f58b24a4f681f6693.jpg

01a282827fd759e97465aba7c8f0e2ac.jpg

7a8277884dfd744d27712da57007e74b.jpg

fa118f1a822f35d35fadab68e69765db.jpg

Couple updates

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Not too big a fan of the formatting tapatalk uses to render images before posting, they're a much lower quality.

I woke up this morning to a wet carpet around my tank, temp was fine, water seemed a little high, the softies looked a little shriveled....a snail had climbed onto the float somehow over night and drained half of my ATO bucket to dilute the tank and over flow it -_-

Design flaw #1

I'll be having to figure out some alternatives to my current set up clearly. This could have been a much bigger problem then dropping my salinity to just out of an "acceptable" range

Everything seems to have recovered from the osmotic shock fine, I'm monitoring the mangroves rather closely, I do not think they were exposed to more of a brackish water long enough for any problems to arise internally. Only time will tell on that one. I figure if my Acan and chalice are fine and still opening up beautifully, I'll be fine all around. It has been three days since this incident and noticed no dye off from inverts or anything. I have yet to see my new yasha goby since I put him in the tank though. My pistol moved as well so I can only hope to assume they've made a tunnel somewhere in the middle of my rock structure I cannot see. The parameters do not indicate the fish passed, but then again I do have a fairly robust CUC for the size of my tank.

I also got some egg crate to cut and put over the opening on my ATO float that the snail climbed through to screw me up in the first place.

It is likely that the mangroves are the least of your worries, but as an aside fresh water works for mangroves too. I have a wabi kusa with a thriving mangrove and it grows quite well in fresh water.

It is likely that the mangroves are the least of your worries, but as an aside fresh water works for mangroves too. I have a wabi kusa with a thriving mangrove and it grows quite well in fresh water.

Mangroves can grow in full saline, brackish or freshwater environments. Once they've sprouted you need to SLOWLY acclimate them to different salinities or they will die from osmotic shock.

e6fb9d743394dc9d1cff3c1ec69101b4.jpg

65c7ae1dd505b23d7f8d11c0d5cf2794.jpg

Root growth since the automatic watering system. Lots of new buds starting to appear as well

I've had a few issues keeping the tank stable but taught me a few things about keeping what is becoming a very interesting nano tank project. due to recent events in life I've lost a few things I've had to pay more attention to in order to keep alive in such a small tank; what has survived my experiments is flourishing however.

Check out the root growth you can see on the mangroves! I ended up putting another one in the back of my tank and that one is actually starting to add to the structural integrity of the rock structure.

Look Dong! My pendent passed the test!
61b17ccb0a66036cdfb8676a9d0f8b81.jpg
2743aa494f179434f65e41fe61fa01d5.jpg
9e46c442690a9ab973629286e997f112.jpg
6b7ce4a58f6cbc143dbb661bf4312dfd.jpg
4ff604778aa5b1148504abd778206445.jpg
8be3649437938ef3033a18f625a41a69.jpg

I failed to mention before but that is a secretive wrasse. Still kicking! The day after I put this fish in, I had a scare with cloudy eye on the right eye of this poor guy. I crushed a clove of garlic and let it sit in the tank for 10 minutes and what do you know? the next day this fish looked better than it did in the store; colors popping, no cloudy eye and after 5 days in the tank he's demolished probably 75% of the flatworm problem I was having. I have to say I am VERY pleased.

0c0ae284160e5ac3ae4d367fb9901feb.jpg

Leaves finally are sprouting. Wrasse jumped through the screen somehow this weekend :(

Sorry to hear about the wrasse :( Unfortunately egg crate has holes to large, as you find out. Clear mesh is a great option that will keep them in.

I also seem to have a little outbreak of green hair algae suddenly. Time for some much needed maintenance this weekend!

Haven't updated this in a while, my tank is currently under construction and will be having a MAJOR overhaul of work done to it as my ability to commit the amount of time to maintaining a healthy 5 gallon aquarium is no longer there.

I'm currently building a pedestal stand and will be drilling the tank and adding a 20 gallon sump for the 5 gallon display. I'll be sure to post pictures once I have some time to finish the stand and get the tank drilled.

Digging this thread from the grave...after a long hiatus I am jumping back into the reefing world and BRS.

After two moves, finishing grad school and starting (still under construction) a brewpub, I'm finally settled in one spot for a few years and can let my aquarium obsession start to take hold again.

I'm starting with this tank and only this tank for the foreseeable future and will be reestablishing the mangrove, Yasha/pistol shrimp build. One major change will be a 20 gallon sump and drilling the sides to hide as much hardware as possible. In lieu of my ATO dripping over the mangroves I will be setting up a timed misting fan and I will also be putting a PVC loop under the rock work in order to attempt to prevent excess digging by the trio of critters who will call this tank home.

This tank will be sitting on a modified ladder-inspired A-frame shelf I'm currently building. This shelf will all be live edge wood I've milled on my wood mill and will also house several orchids, succulents and other unique house plants. There will also be a UNS 60S 10 gallon as either an Amazon (undecided Apistogramma) biotope, shrimp pond or planted cory cat tank offset on the other side of the shelving unit, but this is hardly the forum for freshwater :p

Glad to be back! I'll start posting updates as soon as the shelving unit is in place.

Eddie

Guess my planted tank is going to be delayed another week :(

The company I ordered from did send a replacement tank within 15minutes of me emailing them pictures of the broken tank though!
8c713a7a9482fd14b1a662b9d2519bb5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back