50g sca starfire sps reef build (taking it very slow)

Joker

Viking Corals
BRS Member
It’s been some years sense I have had a reef and I’m excited to come back. I’m not gunna lie I was feening pretty bad with out one lol. I just picked up a 50g rimless sca starfire setup and I’m starting to plan it out heavily now. This build will be very very slow (sorry to you fellow members wanting to see it up and running faster lol) as I want this build to be perfect in every way. This tank will be sps dominant with some acans for the wife. I just cleaned the tank down with vinegar and freshwater. I have to replace the hinges on the stand as they are very rusty. I’m also thinking about redoing the sumps inside and work in there a fuge but not 100% sure yet. Here’s a list of equipment I’m looking at

reefbreeders photon 24
2x mp10’s
Sca 301 skimmer (have)
2x Eheim jagger 150w heaters
Still don’t know for doser or a calcium reactor
Still trying to decide on what kind of controller

I will be hard plumbing the drains and 50% of the return. In the pics you will see the tank in my reptile room this will not be the permanent spot just put it in there to keep out of the way until ready. I have about 90lbs of live rock that I will be giving it a bleach bath very soon and then seeding them with good rock. I’m super stocked about being back and any advice or feed back will be greatly appreciated and welcomed.

E5CFB68D-72A9-4606-A837-3425D79D2921.jpeg

1ABA2502-A87B-44D8-A52A-0739C9CD4AFC.jpeg

Quick question. Is it still a belief that the skimmer chews up pod population if placed after the refuge?

Following, I have the same tank with a different sump. I used to have a v2+ on it as well. Can't wait to see how this rurns out.

What is the lid you have? I need to make/buy one.

Following, I have the same tank with a different sump. I used to have a v2+ on it as well. Can't wait to see how this rurns out.

What is the lid you have? I need to make/buy one.

The guy I got it from made it. I have to make a new one as this one is to small. The one im going to make will sit flush with the top of the tank. The only way you will see it is if your looking top down

The guy I got it from made it. I have to make a new one as this one is to small. The one im going to make will sit flush with the top of the tank. The only way you will see it is if your looking top down

are you using a kit or making it from scratch?

Ok here’s another question for you all. Do the sell replacement impellers for a ph-2500 return pump? Everything I’m seeing when I google is for a skimmer. The little white piece that sits in the magnet is broken and I believe the pump is running hot because of it. Should I just buy another pump?

Ok here’s another question for you all. Do the sell replacement impellers for a ph-2500 return pump? Everything I’m seeing when I google is for a skimmer. The little white piece that sits in the magnet is broken and I believe the pump is running hot because of it. Should I just buy another pump?
Looks like that pump was discontinued in 2013

Looks like that pump was discontinued in 2013

Ok thank you. What do think would be a good pump to replace this one?

What’s your price point and gph desired ?

Nothing to crazy in price lol probably around $50-60(don’t even know if that will be enough for a good return lol). Gph truthfully I don’t know. What’s the rule of thumb about 100x turn over rate in the sump or something like that. My sump is 19”L x 16”W x 13”H, the baffle that sets the water height is 6.5”H

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back