55 gal Build

nbpt27

Rich
I just purchase a 55 gal with stand and canopy. Now I need 2 corner overflow's and the tank drilled. I am picking it up Saturday. Any Help would be great. Thanks

I just purchase a 55 gal with stand and canopy. Now I need 2 corner overflow's and the tank drilled. I am picking it up Saturday. Any Help would be great. Thanks

I would say talk to John K about the overflows, he had some cool DIY ones at the meeting. As for drilling, I think you can do it, you seem to be pretty handy with DIY after I saw the work you were putting in for the algae scrubbers. I have a source for some overflows, but they are meant to be used in the center.

My personal preference when drilling tanks is that I drill for schedule 80 bulkheads, they are heavy duty and never had an issue with them leaking. They have an extra thick gasket which allows you to really tighten down on them without the problem of squeezing the gasket to much and causing a leak. I have in the past caused too many leaking gaskets on schedule 40 by over tightening.

Making a wall with plummer's putty to contain water to keep the hole saw cool does the trick, slow and steady and not too much pressure. Let the hole saw do the cutting not you. Usually the toughest part is getting the hole started. I personally tilt the hole saw and only make contact with the glass at a small point to start to the cut, as I start to pierce the glass then I slowly start to rotate the hole saw to make full contact.

Make sure it's not tempered glass. Alot of 55's are... wait till after next month's meeting and practice there. that's all I've got. :) good luck

Make sure it's not tempered glass. Alot of 55's are... wait till after next month's meeting and practice there. that's all I've got. :) good luck

Good point, if you do not know if its tempered or not, get in touch with the manufacturer and ask before you start to do anything.

the standard 55g is the worst tank for reef tank. I would rather do the 40g instead.
but that is just me

Ya I will know more when I pick it up on Saturday. It was a friends wife tank she doesn't want anymore. Ya I will wait till after next meeting to drill it. Gonna start on a 20 gal sump. Gonna tank pics of the build but still need to find a way to post them

Nick (this is me) will be showing how to upload pictures at the Feb meeting
:)
Ya I will know more when I pick it up on Saturday. It was a friends wife tank she doesn't want anymore. Ya I will wait till after next meeting to drill it. Gonna start on a 20 gal sump. Gonna tank pics of the build but still need to find a way to post them

rich, i'm gonna bet its a standard aqueon 55 which means you cannot drill it. if thats the case i'd sell it to a freshwater person on craigslist

That will stink if i cant drill it but i like the stand and hood. So i can look for a 55 that is already drilled or fine one i can. We will see come saturday

I love my 55g but I do wish it was wider. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452644984.302441.jpg It is a but crowded and tough to not have to lean it on the back wall. Looks good from the front ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452645070.913299.jpg.

I just read a post on another site and thought I'd share. He was able to successfully drill the 12 inch side. I would check though the brand-new Aqueon tanks have a sticker that say all glass is tempered

Ok. Well picked up tank and the tag on the bottom says all glass aquarium. Do u think it can be drilled?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back