55 Gallon setup... Also, hello everyone...

UnderArmour1980

Non-member
Just wanted to say hello to everyone and that I'm really excited to be a part of this reefing community. I have heard a lot of good things about you guys at Bostonreefers.org. So this is my official friendly hello... My name is Adam and I can't wait for all your input. I have many projects that I am currently working since my last
marine aquarium setup almost five years ago. Here's the tank I want to start out with again. I am pretty knowledgeable about marine systems and my favorite book I have memorized... The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. I definitely need to get the new one though.

Hey Reefers,
Looking for some input. I am currently setting up a 55 gallon tank with a 55 gallon bow-front sump. The bow-front was going to be my MT but someone decided to "clean it," effectively scratching the hell out of it. So now I have a beast of a sump...lol. The tank is for me and my girlfriend. Her and I are both partial to clown fish. About five years ago, I had a 90 gallon reef tank. It was an established tank that was running for almost three years. It had a variety of fish including a pair of clowns. While doing some research on what kind of fish to put in my tank, I came across a video from the guys at Bulk Reef Supply. They had a harem clown fish tank. I wanted to do something similar with my 55 gallon setup. I know clowns are hardy and sometimes used to cycle a tank. I would like to have a couple bubble tip anenomies with 10 or 20 clowns.

Welcome aboard! Sounds like a cool plan, not sure I'd do 10-20 clowns tho lol

It's good to be aboard, thanks! I really like the look of the BRS Harem tank... I would love to replicate it...maybe not 10 or 20... Maybe a half dozen...? Any input on the setup of this tank would greatly be appreciated. I plan on another symbiotic relationship too... Watchman Goby & Piston Shrimp will be in it too... Probably a couple others...

You can keep a hand full of clowns... or so I have researched... As long as there are enough clowns for the main pair not to single one out and constantly pick on it... Am I correct in this...?

Yes but I don't think 6 is enough either, the brs tank is a 60 gallon if I'm not mistaken and they have a ton of fish

The MT and the sump will equal 110 gallons, so I should be able to hold a bunch of fish. My real only concern, because I haven't done this before; is start the initial cycle with clown fish. It's a long 55 gallon MT, so I am really going to get as many as possible. Wondering if I can have my 2-4 anenomies in the tank with the initial cycle? If I use something like Instant Ocean BIO‑Spira Live Nitrifying Bacteria and start the cycle with that... Could I actually put the bubble tips in before I put the clowns in for the "initial cycle." Essentially, would the BioSpira keep my anenomies healthy while the clowns really get the cycle going...? Anyone and everyone's input would be welcomed. I will be taking many pics throughout this process so everyone can see what I'm doing and hopefully enjoy my tank too. Thanks everyone.

The MT and the sump will equal 110 gallons, so I should be able to hold a bunch of fish. My real only concern, because I haven't done this before; is start the initial cycle with clown fish. It's a long 55 gallon MT, so I am really going to get as many as possible. Wondering if I can have my 2-4 anenomies in the tank with the initial cycle? If I use something like Instant Ocean BIO‑Spira Live Nitrifying Bacteria and start the cycle with that... Could I actually put the bubble tips in before I put the clowns in for the "initial cycle." Essentially, would the BioSpira keep my anenomies healthy while the clowns really get the cycle going...? Anyone and everyone's input would be welcomed. I will be taking many pics throughout this process so everyone can see what I'm doing and hopefully enjoy my tank too. Thanks everyone.

You would defiantly want to add in some fish so the bacteria has something to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could but is does take a bit longer to cycle because the decaying shrimp will still have to be broken down into ammonia before the nitrifying bacteria can feed. Whereas fish excrete ammonia directly.

That makes sense to me... How about this idea. Maybe I should get a colony of Copepods going and let them cycle the tank... I plan on having a Mandarin or two... So that might work too. What do you think?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back