65 gallon log

Changed the scape a bit, got out the blue palys from the left side of my tank and moved them to my frag tank for the moment. Letting some more colorful frags growing out. Excited to see some of the gold/yellow zoas to grow out from fragsgiving, really like the color.

Been selling some anemones and frags too with the weather warming up, been breaking up the blue paly rocks and doing well with selling those as frags! My sherman anemone had a bad time with a power head and pretty sure its KIA, didnt get shredded but have not seen it in my sump so dont know. Also the red zoas from fragsgiving took a turn but everything else has been thriving.

IMG_1580.jpg
IMG_1624.jpg
IMG_1703.jpg
IMG_1705.jpg

Toadstool frags growing out!
IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1702.jpg

Still got some clearing out some rocks/frags/corals that built up through the winter. Also got to rig up a shelf in the frag tank stand for storage and my doser to sit on, thats the next project on the list. Main tank im letting do its thing, growing out the black widow nems, got one in the display now and one in the sump. Love the color and looking to multiply them!

Got my shelf installed in my frag tank and got the top off water reservoir in place which mean no more 5G bucket sitting next to the tank! Got the doser dialed in pretty well for top off water, its maintained the water level in the sump very well so happy with the results, nice having extra shelf space to under the tank! Just got to make a lid for the top off tank and should be good to go! Continuing to get the frag tank dialed in, right now its mostly overflow for frags from the main tank but want to make it a anemone grow tank down the road.

IMG_1793.jpg
IMG_1794.jpg

Cant rember if i posted about this but upgraded the wavemakers a while ago and have been cranking out more frags and selling. Rearranged some rockwork a bit but everything else has been smooth sailing and got some trocheus snails too they are doing great cleaning.
IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg
IMG_1797.jpg
IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

Some nem picks. Moved the black widow out of the dsiplay, it kept wandering around. Think it was getting pushed out by the bigger nems. Doing good in the sump and settled down fine. Cleaner shrimp seemed to have past, kinda just disappeared one day and the skimmer filled up fast over night. seemed like it got cleaned up / eaten by the tank critters. Was around 2years i think.

IMG_2260.jpeg
IMG_2259.jpeg
IMG_2262.jpeg

Little green BTA that was being blocked out by a big one, been bringing him back
IMG_2263.jpeg
IMG_2261.jpeg

Some phone pics during weekly WC. Got the RO/DI filters changed out and back to regular changes after going to Anna Maria Island FL and some busy weekends. Did some fragging
IMG_2467.jpeg

IMG_2468.jpeg
IMG_2470.jpeg
IMG_2471.jpeg
IMG_2474.jpeg
IMG_2477.jpeg

Going to remove the colt coral, in the process of fragging with zip ties. It seems to "win" most encounters with other softies and has some reach with its size and sway. Melts the xenia it hits and the finger leather but doesnt bug the GSP. Will likely put the white polyp toadstool in its place when its gone.
IMG_2476.jpeg

Sump pic
IMG_2478.jpeg

Rock with some leftover Green Toadstool tissue, watching to see it develop into a frag
IMG_2482.jpeg

Selling some more frags before the heat of summer and rearranging some of the display. Been feeding once per day frozen and been seeing good results, also want to check up on alk/ca/mg numbers in the near futrure. havent tested for months now that im softie only.

quick post about some of the cool stuff saw in Anna Maria Island FL
IMG_2120.jpeg
IMG_2148.jpeg
IMG_5736.jpeg
IMG_7818.jpeg
IMG_7856.jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 11.48.39 AM.png

Attachments

• IMG_2108.jpeg
    IMG_2108.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 66
Made some changes to the scape, sold off the two colt coral frags and opened up the right side of the tank. Unfotunate change with my yellow/goldish zoas taking a sudden downward turn, currently shriveled up. Opened up more space in the sump for the anemones to spread, up to 4x splits of the black widow, and big rainbow finally split today/ tonight!

The long poly toadstool fit well in the spot opened up from my colt coral being gone, just letting things grow out for summer and adding more to the frag tank, Stocking up to sell in fall.

IMG_2844.jpeg
IMG_2900.jpeg

Colt coral to go
IMG_2843.jpeg

IMG_2899.jpeg
IMG_2898.jpeg
IMG_2857.jpeg
IMG_2902.jpeg
IMG_2903.jpeg
IMG_2904.jpeg
IMG_2953.jpeg

Gold/yellow zoa thats now covered in brown algae, not doing so hot
IMG_2952.jpeg

Survivor frag of devils hand, found it in the dark corner of the sump
IMG_2901.jpeg

Things have settled in well after moving a few things. My large rainbow nem in the display finally split, 3x fragments total. Because of the split the nems moved out of the crack/notch in my rockwork and i took the oppurtunity to remove them and switched out with my largest black widow anemone. The rainbow nem would bully out any before so was great to finally get a black widow up in the display!

before the nem split
IMG_3444.jpeg

IMG_3445.jpeg
IMG_3446.jpeg
IMG_3447.jpeg
IMG_3448.jpeg

Sump is filling up fast
IMG_3449.jpeg

IMG_3450.jpeg

splits happened and can see the orange clownfish eggs/nest

IMG_3462.jpeg
IMG_3463.jpeg

got the splits out
IMG_3470.jpeg

empty rockwork, the crack/gap in the rock is a favorite spot for my nems, impossible to get out though haha when they settle
IMG_3471.jpeg

black widow
IMG_3472.jpeg

IMG_3473.jpeg

IMG_3508.jpeg
IMG_3519.jpeg
IMG_3523.jpeg

Frags growing out, getting ready for fall shipping
IMG_3524.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3452.jpeg
    IMG_3452.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 44
Nothing new really, waiting for cooler weather to sell off some frags on ebay. Will start up when im back from vacation. My scambled eggs zoas started experencing a similar fate to my other zoa frag, placed it in the spot my last frag and a week or two later they started closing up. Seems they grow off the plug and come into contact with something growing on my live rock in that area (looks like a sponge or something). Once they touch this they close up and start withering away, this time i moved them quickly and they are starting to recover/ open back up. Gonna glue a piece of rock over that creature that seems to be causing the issue, its prime real estate.

Recovering zoas:
IMG_3608.jpeg

Anemone sump raceway:
IMG_3607.jpeg

Been pumping the black widow nem with mysids, seems happy!
IMG_3611.jpeg

Frags!
IMG_3612.jpeg

High tech salt usage tracker:
IMG_3605.jpeg

Quick update. Good Growth going, black widow nem filling in and the long polyp toadstool in the bottom right has been growing huge. Might trade/sell it to open up more room, that or trim it to make frags. Doesnt seem like the easiest coral to frag, I like having corals that are easy to frag or split themselves.

IMG_3751.jpeg

IMG_3900.jpeg

IMG_3903.jpeg

Devils Hand Frags ready to go!
IMG_3919.jpeg

Eagle Eye Zoa Frag
IMG_3916.jpeg
IMG_3923.jpeg

Frag Pack and Black Widow Nem going out
IMG_3930.jpeg

Quick tank update and got some time to get together photos from our trip to some national parks back in september, Sequoia, Joshua Tree, and near death valley(Beaty, NV)

got some red macro algae thats been growing fast, its shown up here an there throughout my tank but its growing on zoa tile high in the tank and looks cool, growing fast
IMG_4602.jpeg

IMG_4604.jpeg

My black widow has been acting sad in the display, ones in sump are fine. Keeping an eye on it and might lower lighting, will see.
IMG_4607.jpeg

IMG_4610.jpeg

IMG_4611.jpeg

Did my big shake up in the sump, take rock out and shake in buckets. Try to do it a couple times through out the year
IMG_4612.jpeg

Trip photos
Joshua Tree
P9230126 copy Large.jpeg
P9240015 copy Large.jpeg
P9240057 copy Large.jpeg
P9240133 copy Large.jpeg

Nevada
P9260041 copy Large.jpeg

Cool Spring in the desert, endagered pupfish live in the pools
P9260099 copy Large.jpeg

friendly burrows
IMG_8631 copy Large.jpeg
P9260046 copy Large.jpeg
P9260041 copy Large.jpeg

Sequoia
mind blowing how large the trees are!
P9290033 copy Large.jpeg

P9280078 copy Large.jpeg

IMG_8669 copy Large.jpeg

IMG_8682 copy Large.jpeg

P9280046 copy Large.jpeg
P9280088 copy Large.jpeg

Quick tank update and got some time to get together photos from our trip to some national parks back in september, Sequoia, Joshua Tree, and near death valley(Beaty, NV)

got some red macro algae thats been growing fast, its shown up here an there throughout my tank but its growing on zoa tile high in the tank and looks cool, growing fast
View attachment 200485

View attachment 200486

My black widow has been acting sad in the display, ones in sump are fine. Keeping an eye on it and might lower lighting, will see.
View attachment 200489

View attachment 200492
View attachment 200493

Did my big shake up in the sump, take rock out and shake in buckets. Try to do it a couple times through out the year
View attachment 200495

Trip photos
Joshua Tree
View attachment 200496View attachment 200497View attachment 200498View attachment 200499

Nevada
View attachment 200502

Cool Spring in the desert, endagered pupfish live in the pools
View attachment 200504

friendly burrows
View attachment 200500View attachment 200503View attachment 200502

Sequoia
mind blowing how large the trees are!
View attachment 200517
View attachment 200516
View attachment 200512
View attachment 200513
View attachment 200514View attachment 200518
Great pics of nature

Switched my lights around and cleaned up the vents, gotta make more of a habit of doing this. Didnt realize how dirty they have gotten
IMG_4695.jpeg

IMG_4699.jpeg

IMG_4696.jpeg
IMG_4697.jpeg

Also looked at my tank hood and have to look at buying new one or making another. The ventilation in the hoods is not great and moisture is finally catching up with the stained plywood i used to build it. Its warp/peeling and molding is happening with rust on some screws.

Ive run this hood since the start several years ago and building it wasnt tough so thinking of a new one with open top design with a piece of wood running across middle to act as a brace/light mounting running. Also want to research what hinges i could use with open top design, one of the reasons i have the full front swing up on my current hood is the accessibility to the tank and easy to do. I like open top look but have lost plenty of fish with different screen/netting so think this idea would be a good mix of hood/open top. Will make up a sketch/plan down the road
IMG_4703.jpeg
IMG_4704.jpeg

Had some anemone issues, big green one in display let go and must of got shredded, and the black widow in display finally disappeared, tank didnt seem to upset about it. Switched out my RO/DI filtration and plan to do it quarterly, seems correlated with that but who knows, all other anemones were fine. Moved one of the black widows from sump to display and will only have that morph in the display now, i swear the nems compete more with other color morphs and crowd them out.

bits from the shredded green nem
IMG_4678.jpeg

Got 3x green now after the giant one in sump finally split
IMG_4864.jpeg

Black widow from sump in display now, clownfish were lost without there nems
IMG_4868.jpeg

Grandi sprouting new head at base
IMG_4931.jpeg

Fruit loop zoas bouncing back well
IMG_4862.jpeg

fancy Zoa has been growing steady, gotta look back for the name
IMG_4867.jpeg

Have been selling a few corals, just been waiting for warm days and clear weather with any order i get. May be moving soon too. I have been looking at buying, so will likely make some changes with the move. Would love to run the frag tank in line with my display tank along with running my sump to separate room/basement/ etc when moving

Last edited:
Picked up a tuxedo urchin, needed a algae grazer to replace my blenny that died a while back. Algae has been slowly growing and expanding its range. Have had two times where ive had increased algae growth after my lawnmower bleeny or urchin dies, usually have one in the tank for algae control.

Decided to go back to an urchin this time around, they move frags but no biggie, he too small for now to be a real pain yet haha. One reason for the urchin is less biological load, lawnmower gets big.
Another reason was I recently read a cool article from coral magazine about how they observed loss of coral cover on the reefs in the florida keys after urchin population crashed. This was mostly due to the effect of urchins grazing algae allowing for coral to settle and grow. Basically what i took out of the article is the need for algae grazers for health of coral and that coral and algae both grow in the same water conditions but the grazers are what allow the coral to flourish.
IMG_4963.jpeg

Heres the alage heavy spots atm:
IMG_4964.jpeg

IMG_4966.jpeg
IMG_4965.jpeg

The grandi paly bud is growing fast
IMG_4967.jpeg

reoriented my large toadstool to fit better.
IMG_4968.jpeg

Urchin has been mowing down algae, he didnt have to move far to fill up on algae haha
Before
IMG_4963.jpeg

After
IMG_5045.jpeg

More Urching before
IMG_5142.jpeg

IMG_5155.jpeg

IMG_5050.jpeg

Moved the small toadstool frag from high by sinularia to lower right, wasnt really growing much in last spot, id end up brushing my arm into when siphoning the back corner of my tank during water changes. Believe this was the main issue with why its growth is stagnant and one sided
IMG_5052.jpeg

Clove polyp moving onto the rockwork
IMG_5056.jpeg

Moved the other black widow nem i have up to display, it was stuggling in the sump. Getting bullied out of light by the bigger nems. Seems to be settling in well next to the other clone
IMG_5143.jpeg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back