65 gallon log

yeah its close enough to zero when I checked RO today. But yeah not to picky on readings haha. As long as its in the ball park.

08/11/19
alk: 8.5
-before H20 change

08/11/19
-before H20 change

08/11/19
alk: 8.4
Ca: 420-430
Mg:1600
-After H20 change

08/12/19
alk:8.4
+1/4 cup alk

08/13/19
alk: 7.5
+1/2 cup alk

08/14/19
Ca: 410
+1/4 cup alk

Interesting to see that alk didn't go down the day after doing a water change. Measured ~3hours after the change so maybe insufficient mixing time? or the change stops/slows growth rate from the shock/change?

prior calculations showed the tank using about 0.75-0.8 dkh/alk a day and 1/2cup of alk solution bringing tank up roughly 1.6 dkh.

this week from Mon-Tues (12th-13th) alk dropped ~ 1.7dkh if accounting for adding 1/4 cup alk = 0.8 dkh
tues-wed alk dropped 0.7dkh with adding 1/2 cup alk =1.6 dkh

so the mon-tues drop is kinda high but maybe the alk dipping into the 7s on Tuesday and slows growth/uptake from tues-wed? gotta keep testing to get more accurate idea of alk use.

calcium/ magnesium not really dropping at fast enough rate to really worry about now. A few more weeks of dialing alk in and get it on auto dosing. Figure out Ca/Mg then

Rocks on right of tank going soon either through fellow member or LFS for credit if need be. The dry rock I picked up has been curing in a bucket for about a month now. Ready to get rid of the Paly rock for more lps growth room and pick up a soft coral with more movement in the current to fill in next to the anemone. hopefully have room to slide the anemone rock/pillar to the right too, away from the left/monti side. Anemone is almost reaching the Monti cap now.

Last edited:
08/11/19
-before H20 change

08/11/19
Ca: 420-430
-After H20 change

08/12/19
+1/4 cup alk

08/13/19
alk: 7.5
+1/2 cup alk

08/14/19
Ca: 410

Interesting to see that alk didn't go down the day after doing a water change. Measured ~3hours after the change so maybe insufficient mixing time? or the change stops/slows growth rate from the shock/change?

prior calculations showed the tank using about 0.75-0.8 dkh/alk a day and 1/2cup of alk solution bringing tank up roughly 1.6 dkh.

this week from Mon-Tues (12th-13th) alk dropped ~ 1.7dkh if accounting for adding 1/4 cup alk = 0.8 dkh
tues-wed alk dropped 0.7dkh with adding 1/2 cup alk =1.6 dkh

so the mon-tues drop is kinda high but maybe the alk dipping into the 7s on Tuesday and slows growth/uptake from tues-wed? gotta keep testing to get more accurate idea of alk use.

calcium/ magnesium not really dropping at fast enough rate to really worry about now. A few more weeks of dialing alk in and get it on auto dosing. Figure out Ca/Mg then

Rocks on right of tank going soon either through fellow member or LFS for credit if need be. The dry rock I picked up has been curing in a bucket for about a month now. Ready to get rid of the Paly rock for more lps growth room and pick up a soft coral with more movement in the current to fill in next to the anemone. hopefully have room to slide the anemone rock/pillar to the right too, away from the left/monti side. Anemone is almost reaching the Monti cap now.
Picture? I wanna see lol

Nice job staying on top of the testing. You will get it dialed in! Then you will have more corals and will need to adjust again lol

08/15/19
+1/4 alk

glad to see some consistency, even if its only for a day haha. 8.4 two days in a row after adding 1/4 cup alk which I believe adds about 0.8dkh to the tank. tank estimated to uptake .75-.80dkh. So hopefully this stays somewhat steady. will see tomorrow.

got the macro lens out since its likely last night with tank as is, right sides getting some remodeling. keeping the leathers, selling or trading rocks with palys
P8115395.JPG

P8155422.JPG

Anemone has got some reach now!
P8155417.JPG

P8155452.JPG

don't think I ever made a log about the dersea clam I picked up about a month ago. he's not to happy right now after cleaning the glass. Snagged him at petco for only 30$, he's not the prettiest/was in rough shape but has colored up/ grown since getting him. will get better shot at some point.
-Picked him up before all this alk testing
P8155423.JPG

galaxea frag:
P8155430.JPG

mushroom trailers/babies are starting to form the disk shape and bubbles:
P8155429.JPG

08/16/19
alk 8.4
+1/4 cup alk supp

08/17/19
alk 8.4
+1/4 cup alk supp

so has been consistent and matching up with my estimates as far as consumption and effect of alk supplement. Will likely maintain it a little higher, try bringing it up this week.

made some changes to the right side, sold paly rocks to a fellow member. Heres the rough layout the rock work was/is in. Still gotta rotate a bit more and layout the surrounding rockwork better.

without Paly rocks
IMG_1384.JPG
IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

new Scaping layout #, everything is still pretty pissed from being moved. Sold the Toadstool leather with one rock, keep the devils hand. Banded to rock for now.
IMG_1390.JPG
IMG_1391.JPG
IMG_1389.JPG

Found some old photos from my 40gallon before it went south from 2015. the circled monti is what started the colony i have now. Duncan coral and frogspawn still kicking

IMG_0335.jpg
IMG_1234.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 468
Been testing alk throught the end of last week and it was running steady adding 1/4 cup alk a day to maintain 8.4 Dkh. Ca and Mg are moving more now that alk is being dosed so, watching those levels close now. started dosing Ca periodically. Mg is testing kinda funky with the different readings without dosing it.

08/18/19
+1/4 cup alk

08/19/19-day after water change
Ca: 390
Mg: 1480
+1/4 cup alk, +2 tbsp Ca

08/20/19
alk:8.7
Ca: 450
Mg: 1360
+1/4 cup alk

08/21/19-day after water change
alk:9.1
Ca: 395
Mg: 1600
+1/4 cup alk, +2 tbsp Ca

Been messing with the rock scape, got the main rock structure built in a way i like. Now just playing with the angle it faces the front glass. Gonna build up some rock around the structure to fill it out a little around the leftside.

P8185400.JPG
P8185401.JPG

view through the right side pane:
P8185405.JPG

Going to trade in/ sell some more corals for to get more Frog/torch corals. Galaxea and some more duncans are next to go. Galaxea sweepers are too big/long.

Thinking of either Pink athenia or cespitularia to fill in around anemones. leaning toward the blue/purple cespitularia if i can find some local since it sounds more controllable and less invasive than athenia.

EXAMPLES:

pink athenia:
Anthelia-fkbsar.jpg

blue cespitularia:
ces.jpg

I ordered cespultaria from cultivated reef and had solid success from all the corals from there. Solid vendor.

I have a bunch of the blue cespitularia. I’m in Lowell if you’re interested.

Wait scratch that im trading the pink stuff...ya dont go with that very very nice looking blue one. It will only make your tank look nicer. Def dont do that.lmao

I PM’d you aros about the 40$ frag.

Thanks for the offer sparky, yeah liking the looks of the blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are for display, pretty sure Aros took those with lights off so the polyps aren’t as extended/colorful or the camera flash makes em look different. They look good even with the lights off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back