7 Gallon Cube Reef Help!!!

mvofficer1

Non-member
I could really use some advice. My daughter has a 7 gallon reef cube, with a few coral, snails, a few hermits, 2 clowns, a blenny, and a few other small fish (not sure what) Anyway, it was doing great for a long time, with the help of her now ex boyfriend.
Now, without the help, the tank is a mess unfortunately. Fish are fine, and she does water changes, but it has what I think is hair algae growing everywhere. I tried removing it, but NO WAY! it is pretty much glued to everything.
Any suggestions??? Thanks for any help.
WTk2CMzx.jpg
mMBU5e0B.jpg

Could be bryopsis..

If that's what you think it is than I have heard that raising magnesium is an option but I don't have any personal experience with trying this so may want to do some digging for info..

people have said fluconazole gets rid of bryopsis without any side effects, i would look more into that

I believe its caulerpa macro algae. They grip on the rockwork real good. Best way is to dramatically decrease light period as much as possible for it to die off overnight.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

2 clowns, a blenny, and some other fish in 7 gallons? Way overstocked. Going to be nearly impossible to keep up with that bioload.

Agreed. Too many fish for that tank to handle! With all the extra nutrients algae is going to keep growing like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I know it is 2 clowns, a blenny, a watchman, and a pistol shrimp. For some reason I thought she had more. Still probably too much for that small tank. Can't tell an 18 year old anything though :)
I started removing some of the live rock that was just covered in it. Didn't see any other option. Was also able to save most of her coral, but she did lose a few unfortunately.
Hopefully I can get this under control in a few days. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

You just removed the rock entirely? Might not be the best idea in that small tank. You are removing some of the primary filtration.

The problem with macro algae in nano display tanks is that it's so hard to find an inhabitant that will eat it that also lives in that size tank. I had caluerpa take over a 5 gallon once. I think just taking out one rock a day and H2O2 + rasping the heck out of it will be your best tool.

Guru, I took out about half the rock, the pieces with the most algae on it.

Spudsly, that is what I am going to try. The plan was to eventually remove all the liverock over the next week or so. Then hopefully after a few weeks if I am able to rid the take of all the algae, put a small piece of rock into her tank from my 40 gal. This stuff is like weeds, even grew into the sand bed. Going to try raking it out somehow. Fingers crossed.

How much would another tank cost?
Just add some of your rock or buy some cured live rock and wait a week, shouldn't have a cycle and put everything into the new one

Fluconazole 100%!! I used it for green hair algae and it whipped it out completely. A few of my friends have used it for bryopsis with the same results. I posted a YouTube video on fluconazole. Check it out. My YouTube channel is Mike Lemming

Thanks Mike. I will definetly check that out. It has improved a lot since I have been on it. I did have to remove some of the live rock that was just full of the algae, but was able to save almost all the coral. Thanks everyone for the help with this issue.

Thanks Mike. I will definetly check that out. It has improved a lot since I have been on it. I did have to remove some of the live rock that was just full of the algae, but was able to save almost all the coral. Thanks everyone for the help with this issue.

Good to hear and good luck!

Back