A single green polyp on a forest fire digitata

serwobow

BRS Member
Every chance I get, I look over my tank with a magnifying glass.
The other day, I examined an encrusted section of a forest fire digitata, and saw a single green polyp in a sea of orange polyps (photo below). This polyp is average in shape, but has a bright fluorescent green center with orange tips. I am guessing that this unique color pattern may be due to a spontaneous mutation, since I have an abundance of forest fire digitatas, and this is the only polyp of its kind in my tank.
I would like to try to grow this polyp into a coral of its own, but technically, I don't know how, so I think may just progressively trim the encrusted patch smaller and smaller around this single polyp, and hope that the mutant stem cells that created this polyp will then be induced to make new polyps.... I don't know how corals make new polyps so I have no idea of the feasibility of this approach. Does anyone know about coral stem cells? Or about growing a whole montipora from a single polyp?

green polyp forest fire digitata.jpg

If coral color is dictated by the symbionts within the coral(I thought so Atleast) is it possible when the coral was growing this particular polyp the zooxanthellae that was present in the surrounding water column and eventually became hosted by the coral ended up producing a green polyp? Super cool anyways however it happened

It is called fluorescence protein infection. Most likely from your Krytonite candy cane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is called fluorescence protein infection. Most likely from your Krytonite candy cane.

Well, hopefully the infection spreads....
I just read a little bit about the fluorescence protein infection - sounds pretty mysterious. Most of the time it goes away. I will watch this thing. It is still there today.

It depends on the type of coral. I guess this one will stay.

Every chance I get, I look over my tank with a magnifying glass.
The other day, I examined an encrusted section of a forest fire digitata, and saw a single green polyp in a sea of orange polyps (photo below). This polyp is average in shape, but has a bright fluorescent green center with orange tips. I am guessing that this unique color pattern may be due to a spontaneous mutation, since I have an abundance of forest fire digitatas, and this is the only polyp of its kind in my tank.
I would like to try to grow this polyp into a coral of its own, but technically, I don't know how, so I think may just progressively trim the encrusted patch smaller and smaller around this single polyp, and hope that the mutant stem cells that created this polyp will then be induced to make new polyps.... I don't know how corals make new polyps so I have no idea of the feasibility of this approach. Does anyone know about coral stem cells? Or about growing a whole montipora from a single polyp?

View attachment 129457
This post got me thinking so I took a close look at my Digis 1-Fire Engine Red and a Bubble Gum. While looking them over very closely I found this. On my BG I found a bright green polyp...Can You Believe It! Both corals came from Dong, if it plays into the equation. Where did your coral come from?

Now what do you peeps think about this?

Attachments

• BG Digi-GRNSPT.jpg
    BG Digi-GRNSPT.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 225
  • BIGPIC-BGDIGI.jpg
    BIGPIC-BGDIGI.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 201
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting