FS Achilles Tang *Fully QT'd

ReefAddict

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I originally bought this Achilles to add to my tang gang in my Display. I've decided it is likely my Powder Blue will not accept him and I don't want to take the risk.

He is around 3 1/2" and will be finishing full QT on the 14th. He has gone through a round of General Cure followed by 5 day ramp and 24 days of Copper power He will be fed Frozen with focus / Metro added for the last 5 days of QT. He is clean and healthy. He eats all frozen and nori like a champ.

*just a disclaimer you will get him clean and free of disease. If you have ich or any other disease in your tank he will likely get it. These tangs are magnets. It's up to you to have a clean display to add him to.

Lock him up with PayPal. He will be ready to pick up in Woburn after the 14th.

I am asking a premium for him... $425

Last edited:
I've now had an Achilles for one year. It was introduced simultaneously with three other Tangs (Sailfin, Blue, Naso). It's an SPS tank with high flow and 8 foot long. Thus far, there have been no problems and it is a very very beautiful fish. It is aggressive and tangles with the Sailfin for dominance. If you have the right conditions, I'd recommend trying it.

I appreciate the response.

That is actually the issue. My yellow, hippo, naso and powder blue have been in the display together for 2.5 years now. There’s harmony in there and it’s a very open aquascape, everyone has their sleeping spots.

If I was introducing it with a few tangs I wouldn’t be worried about it.

I would love to as I have always wanted one but can't right now. PM me if no one picks him up and maybe I can be last on your list.

Well guys I decided to give him a shot in my display gonna do 3-5 days using an acclimation box and see what happens. Fingers crossed.
Good luck bud, I wish I could have it. One of my favorite fish, but I have some bullies already in there.

288D71F7-5043-419C-ADB3-1D7190F5E171.jpeg

In all seriousness, glad you’re giving it a try and using the acclimation box. Just be mindful not to put the tang in confinement for too long. Feed well and watch their behavior. Don’t leave seaweed on a clip in the tank. I found this is the main source for aggression in my tank full of tangs. The moment I have seaweed on a clip in the tank, all the Acanthurus go berserk. Break up the seaweed, soak it with the food you feed, and spray in the tank. This way everyone will get to eat. A little aggression in the beginning is normal. It took about a month for my powder blue to accept the powder brown. Now, they can careless about each other. But of course, use your best judgment on when to remove a fish. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 154568
In all seriousness, glad you’re giving it a try and using the acclimation box. Just be mindful not to put the tang in confinement for too long. Feed well and watch their behavior. Don’t leave seaweed on a clip in the tank. I found this is the main source for aggression in my tank full of tangs. The moment I have seaweed on a clip in the tank, all the Acanthurus go berserk. Break up the seaweed, soak it with the food you feed, and spray in the tank. This way everyone will get to eat. A little aggression in the beginning is normal. It took about a month for my powder blue to accept the powder brown. Now, they can careless about each other. But of course, use your best judgment on when to remove a fish. Good luck.
I like your style :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use a critter cage from petco and just use suction cups and/or zip ties to secure it.

I have a shu from octoaquatics if you wanna drive. It’s roomy enough for a tang

hey guys, I put him in tonight using an eshopps m acclimation box. he was slamming his head against the wall repeatedly. The powder blue didn't seem interested. I gave it 20 min. and decided to let him go. Dimmed the lights and feed heavily and let him out.

Well the powder blue is beating him relentlessly. Do I let it go the night or get him out?

Help.

well I was getting ready to pull him but saw the Achilles fight back a couple times. So I am going to give it the night and see what tomorrow brings. I feed heavily again then shut the lights for the night

That’s not a good thing so def keep a watch for him “giving up”. If I were you, I’d try to catch and isolate the powder blue and let the Achilles settle it

That’s not a good thing so def keep a watch for him “giving up”. If I were you, I’d try to catch and isolate the powder blue and let the Achilles settle it
Yes I’m gonna give it till tongiht and make a plan.
Achilles got some nice slices on its side but so doesn’t PB. I added a mirror and since then the PB hasn’t stopped beating up....himself..lol. I’m prettu sure it’s not gonna work out but I’ll make a plan tonight.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back