Achilles Tang

As of right now, you don't have any Acanthurus in the tank. However, like any other new tangs addition, it usually causes some drama. It just that the drama is a lot worse when dealing with two of the same species.
It's doable for your case. I'll just plan ahead and keep an eye of the sizes of the fish.
While adding stress-proned=ick proned fish like an Achilles or Powder Blue, I wouldn't blame just one fish and cross it off the list. Yes, they require a lot more work and watchful eyes but with the right condition, they will be just fine. There's many people who has successfully kept these fish so why can't you.

As of right now, you don't have any Acanthurus in the tank. However, like any other new tangs addition, it usually causes some drama. It just that the drama is a lot worse when dealing with two of the same species.
It's doable for your case. I'll just plan ahead and keep an eye of the sizes of the fish.
While adding stress-proned=ick proned fish like an Achilles or Powder Blue, I wouldn't blame just one fish and cross it off the list. Yes, they require a lot more work and watchful eyes but with the right condition, they will be just fine. There's many people who has successfully kept these fish so why can't you.

I actually don't have the new tank up and running yet. It's arriving shortly and I'll plumb it into my existing system. The other tangs are in different tanks - in the same system - so if I get the Achilles, I can introduce all 3 tangs at the same time and feed them generously as they acclimatize.

Terry, I was waiting everyone give their opinions and all of them makes sense. I was the person who lost 24 tangs in my tank on the beginning of the year by introducing the last one Achilles, he took 2 days to spread out Velvet, I lost even my gem tang on that. Today, I have 6 yellow tangs, 4 hippos blue, sohal, powder blue, white tail, scopa, powder brown, couple more I forget the name in my 230 gallons. I will not introduce Achilles from my experience until I get my dream tank 1000 gallons next year or so. In order to make this yellow tangs leave together, since they were placed separately, I had them in a trap for 2 weeks to introduce to the tank, plus I had to watch for a full week. It was a quite of work but now the leave about 3 months beautiful together. However, I have a clowtang and selfin, that I had to move to my other 150-gallon tank, because they were fiding too much (sohal is the worst in my opinion very aggressive) before spread ich by the stress. I love tangs, and in the future, I will go for all kinds of tangs in my big tank. But again, it's trick to make them leave together. You are more than welcome to stop by and look at my tank in Winthrop. Good luck. Paulo

I love tangs as well. Someday if possible i'd like to come by and check them out.

My cuzos has 5 tangs in his 120dt;
Hippo tang
Purple Tang
Sailfin Tang
Blonde Naso Tang
Yellow Tang

I'm they're babysitter in the meanwhile, while he revamps his house and puts up his 300+ new tank in. I'm not going to lie but i wish i cold keep them but would like to have my own grow together from young to adult status.

As I understand it, Achilles live in the surge zone at top of reefs in Hawaii (and in fact when I snorkeled there, that’s where I saw them in massive quantities). So they like alot of flow and they like to have room to swim. So although my new tank is only 170 gallons, it is 8 feet long, won’t be excessively cluttered with live rockc, and will be bare-bottom tank with massive flow for sps growth. So I’m hoping that those conditions might make it viable, but as noted above and by everyone on-line, it’s not an easy fish to keep.

If you can find one that is fat and eats, the chance if it’s survival is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back