Acros Dying...Need Surrogate Tanks

Around 3 months ago, I began using RowaPhos to bring my phosphate level down. Everything went really well for around 2 weeks. The RowaPhos got rid of some really tough algae in my frag tank, my water clarity was superb, and the colors of my corals deepened greatly.

After 1 month of using RowwaPhos I had no problems. Then I went on vacation and, of course, something went really wrong. My calcium reactor output tube clogged and when I returned after a week of vacation, my alkalinity dropped to 6 from around 10.

Shortly after, the dying started.... first it was the tips and then whole colonies died off....tricolor gone, blue tort gone, neon pink stylophora gone, huge green monitpora cap gone, green hydnophora gone, purple monipora gone, etc...I can't definitively say it was the RowaPhos or the alkalinity drop, but my remaining corals are still being affected. I would like to think that it was not the RowaPhos and that it seems that the low alkalinity did the job.

The remaining acros are still slowly dying but I am hoping to save as much as I can. I am doing massive water changes and running carbon and polyfilter. I have some really beautiful blue acros that I got on the road trip last year and also the ORA blue acro I got for Reef TV that have not shown any die off. Through all of this, I have been working on my remote fish room which is finally up and running...of course there is still a little morework to do on the room.

Please, if anyone has any frags from me, please save a frag of your colony for me so I can rebuild. I will be glad to trade you a frag of the above mentioned corals and others for a frag of the tricolor coral...most of the others are lost forever since I did not begin fragging them.

I have also gotten offers to give away some frags of my remaining acros and I am still looking for "surrogate tanks". I read that only 2 things work when the acro dying domino effect takes over your tank: 1. Dilution or water changes 2. Isolation or fragging and moving the frag to another tank.

Please contact me if you are interested in either trading back one of my frags to me or if you would like to offer your tank as a surrogate for some really nice frags.

Thanks to all,
Chuck Spyropulos

Chuck,

My frag tank is tight, but I can accomodate several small frags until things get straightened out. Let me know,

Matt:cool:

I have never kept acro's, but I have the required equipment, stable water parameters, and a ten month old tank. I can take a frag or three if you don't find more qualified hands. Sorry to hear of your slow-motion crash, that sucks :(

Chuck if you need I can bring over 250-300 gallons of NSW for the change, we did this is Scotts tank with great results. Also I can stick a few things in my tank for you.

sorry to hear that man,i wish i had room to help you out....

i went to that guy brads house about 2 months ago he had no issues with his tank after he stopped using RP(as of 2 months ago)he had some corals in recovery that were doing better,hes lucky that more acro's didn't get hit he had some of the nicest corals i have ever seen....

Chuck, you can put some in my 180 if you need to. It's pretty empty right now. Low Alk'll do it to you every time. I had a similar problem a while back so I know what you mean.

I'll be away after friday so you can do it now, or if you can coordinate with Gumhead, you're welcome to store stuff there while I'm gone "collecting porites".

Wow, I did not expect such a large response. Thanks to all of you for volunteering to help me out. I will give you frags to keep for free with the promise that you frag the parent colony when it "grows up" and return a frag to me of each one you take. Most of these frags are really nice colors and are not yet affected by the RTN.

Here is my first draft at a list of sorts:

Ray: I'd like to give you a light blue millepora with red polyps and a green acro for safe keeping. Scott did a water test and did not find anything bad so I will skip the water change, but stay tuned just in case ...and thanks very much !

Armando: Thank you very very much...I will contact you as soon as things get stable in my tank and the RTN stops.

Karl: I would like to give you a Blue mille frag and an ORA Blue/Pink mille Frag and a "banana colored, purple-tipped stag" for safe keeping

One Eye: I would like to give you a pink millepora and a purple acro/w green polyps and a blue acro for safekeeping

KAS: I would like to give you a neon yellow acro and a purple mille frag for safe keeping.

FrugalReef: I'd like to give you a purple wild acro for safe keeping and any others you ma y want to have

Please note you are free to take more frags, but I wanted to minimize the burden on everyone so I split everything up. Everyone, thanks again and please contact me via pm, email, posting for pickup logistics. I can travel and meet you half way, or all the way, or you can come see my tank or whatever...just let me know a day, time and place and let me know if you need directions.

Thanks again guys and gals!

Gratefully,
Chuck Spyropulos

Chuck,
I will house whatever coral(s) you have that need a babysitter. When your tank is stable again, you can have the entire piece(s) back. I will email you with my schedule.
-Karen

Chuck, I just to finish aquascaping my 120 and I'll have plenty of room to house things if you need more room. Should be finshed by the end of next week. The my new 120 is Gumheads old setup with his dual 250 HQI's and lots of water movement. Its a bit of a jaunt to my neck of the woods though. Not sure what you lost already but I have frag of some type of teal/blue tip stag with a greenish body that I got from you a while back (when greg spoke about various topics at a meeting in the wakefield library about 6 months ago). You're welcome to a frag when you're ready.

Last edited:
Chuck,

I may be able to take my 75 offline from the main system and keep stuff for you.

LMK,
Joe

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back