Acros Dying...Need Surrogate Tanks

Chuck you mention the Rowaphos and then you mention the drop in alkalinity.

Which or what do you think caused this?

Chuck,
I bought a tricolor and a blue with red polyps from you in the spring. Still very small but when they grow out, your welcome to a frag. If you need another tank surrogate (sounds like others have come thru already), let me know. Only issue might be my T5s compared to the MH you have. So far the colors are holding great and the frags are growing (tho very slow). Good luck!!
Andy

Thanks Karen

Karen,

Thanks for the offer, I will definitely take you up on it.....I will look for your e-mail !

Thanks Again!
Chuck

KAS said:
Chuck,
I will house whatever coral(s) you have that need a babysitter. When your tank is stable again, you can have the entire piece(s) back. I will email you with my schedule.
-Karen

Thanks Mike

I will let you know when things get better in the tank.

Thanks again,
Chuck

mikestod said:
Chuck, I just to finish aquascaping my 120 and I'll have plenty of room to house things if you need more room. Should be finshed by the end of next week. The my new 120 is Gumheads old setup with his dual 250 HQI's and lots of water movement. Its a bit of a jaunt to my neck of the woods though. Not sure what you lost already but I have frag of some type of teal/blue tip stag with a greenish body that I got from you a while back (when greg spoke about various topics at a meeting in the wakefield library about 6 months ago). You're welcome to a frag when you're ready.

Thanks Dennis

Dennis,

I'll call you tonight and maybe we can set something up for tomorrow night or the weekend.

Thanks again for your generous offer !

Chuck
denvig said:
Chuck as I said call me I can hold some for you then give them back when your ready

Thank You Andy

Andy,
Thanks for your generous offer. I will definitely take you up on it
when the tank is back to steady state.

Thanks again!
Chuck
wrassefan said:
Chuck,
I bought a tricolor and a blue with red polyps from you in the spring. Still very small but when they grow out, your welcome to a frag. If you need another tank surrogate (sounds like others have come thru already), let me know. Only issue might be my T5s compared to the MH you have. So far the colors are holding great and the frags are growing (tho very slow). Good luck!!
Andy

Hi Marvin

Marvin,

Not sure what caused anything for sure....but here is what I believe happened:

I used RowaPhos for a month or so with no problems, in fact it helped rather than destroyed all of my acros...the colors grew deeper, the water was clearer, greater polyp extension, phosphates reduced, and the algae was eradicated...good really good.

Then, I went away on vacation for a week in July and while away my Calcium Reactor clogged, although my kalkwasser reactor kept topping off calcium/alkalinity enriched RODI water (kalkwasser). I think the combination of clogged Calcium Reactor and using RowaPhos, caused the alkalinity to suddenly and drastically drop, shocking and weakening the acros. This, plus the bright halide lighting, probably led to suppressed immunity against pathogens (bacterial ? viral ?) that then ravaged the acros...although all of this is pure speculation. It has been shown in an issue of "Advanced Aquarist" that RowaPhos does suppress alkalinity, although it does this more efficiently at higher alkalinity (~16 dkH) than at lower alkalinity levels (~8 dkH). So this effect, combined with the other effects probably was to blame.

I am not putting down RowaPhos... I do not believe it was solely due to RowaPhos since I used it for a month or so with no problems. In fact, I would use it again if I had a problem with elevated phosphate levels.

Regards,
Chuck

Tstone said:
Chuck you mention the Rowaphos and then you mention the drop in alkalinity.

Which or what do you think caused this?

Chuck,
Sorry to hear of your losses.
I have Triclor, baby blue acro, and Green Bali slimer from you. Still growing but when they are a fraggable size you can have a piece of em.

There has been some mention on RC of Rowaphos causing Acro issues if PO4 drops too quickly. I dont know how true this is but thought I'd mention it. I myself have been using Phosban in a reactor for 4 months and have not seen any adverse effects.

Chuck,
I sent you an email a day or two ago, did you get it? If not, I can stop by either Sat. or Sunday. Whatever works for you. My email address is kstrazdas at comcast dot net.
-Karen

Thanks Syris !

Thanks Syris!

A piece of the Tricolor (my favorite colony!) and baby blue acro would be great ! The green slimer is like a tank...no problems with it an really healthy.
I will contact you when my system is back to normal, what ever that is !
Yes, I have read all those threads regarding RowaPhos...I thin kmy problem was the sudden drop in alkalinity due to the calcium reactor clogging when I was away combined with the alkalinity drop that RowaPhos cuases....but who knows? This hobby is full of uncharted waters. Thanks again man for your generousity !

Regards,
Chuck

Syris said:
Chuck,
Sorry to hear of your losses.
I have Triclor, baby blue acro, and Green Bali slimer from you. Still growing but when they are a fraggable size you can have a piece of em.

There has been some mention on RC of Rowaphos causing Acro issues if PO4 drops too quickly. I dont know how true this is but thought I'd mention it. I myself have been using Phosban in a reactor for 4 months and have not seen any adverse effects.

I think between Denvig, KAS and Ray, I should be all set for surrogate tanks.
I also have offers from several people to give me frags from the frags that got from me. So I think I am all set for now.

I really want to thank everyone in this thread for helping me out...you guys are the greatest, and I will make it up to you one way or another.

Thanks again all!
Chuck

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back