Advice on large dead fish

My trigger looked the same. But he came in that way from LA. Thankfully I never let it near my DT.

Documented my journey here: R2R Thread

I hope you can get yours sorted and healed up.

Joe

Last edited:
Yes it is Fungus. The fin rot and the cotton like dots are tell-tail sign.

Yes it is Fungus. The fin rot and the cotton like dots are tell-tail sign.

Thanks Dong. Given that diagnosis, should I do the dip in 5 gallons with 2x or 4x the dose for thirty minutes? Or is there something else to do? Or do nothing and hope for the best?

I will give it a dip if you can catch it. 2x dose for 30 min.
Don’t give up hope yet, I have seen worse than that that did recover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can put him in my tank, I’m repeating the 4x dose starting probably tomorrow or Sunday
Didn’t kill all the bubble algae so one more round

How is the trigger doing today?

Thanks for asking, Dong. Behaviorally, the same. Hovers over sand, will eat decently if food placed in front of mouth. Spots and discoloration look to me worse than before dip.
Any other ideas for treatment? He is now staying in front of tank so pretty easy to catch.

Follow the directions on the label for fish mox.

I was just asking because you recommended a dip, but the directions on the web site only described how to treat an entire tank and didn't have dip instructions

I would be hesitant to dose an antibiotic in a dt. (In regards to coral and inverts) you may want to pull him and do any treatment in a hospital tank.

When you do a dip, use the same concentration as in tank treatment. Dip him for an hour with airstone in a bucket.

You cab treat the entire tank with fish mox without issue. But I would rather do a dip as amoxicillin is a broad spectrum antibiotics and it may impact the good bacterial colonies.

When you do a dip, use the same concentration as in tank treatment. Dip him for an hour with airstone in a bucket.

You cab treat the entire tank with fish mox without issue. But I would rather do a dip as amoxicillin is a broad spectrum antibiotics and it may impact the good bacterial colonies.

Thanks, I've ordered the product and will try the dip later this week.

Dong - I did the dip today. Fish seemed to respond well in terms of activity and just ate well, too soon to see about spotting. Human antibiotics require a week or so long treatment and fishmox also recommends 5-10 days (it assumes you are dosing tank). Should I then try dosing daily (if I can catch the fish) for an hour? I've tried so hard to save this fish that I might as well put in the further effort if it is called for. What do you think?
thanks

Since he is responding well, i will suggest give him a daily dip for 5 days if catching it wont cause too much stress. Or you can pur him in a 40 breeder tank or larger with air stone and dose that tank for 5 days.

Update on my non-dead Trigger: after five days in hospital tank with Fishmox antibacterial treatment, the spots on the Trigger are entirely gone and it is swimming around. It does appear to be visually impaired. It swims until it hits something and then turns and when I put food in front of its face it still often misses it and it can't or won't eat food in the water column. But overall it looks like it might recover. The label calls for a 10-day treatment so I'll keep it in the HT (a 40 breeder) for another five days.

Back