Advice on large dead fish

Update on my non-dead Trigger: after five days in hospital tank with Fishmox antibacterial treatment, the spots on the Trigger are entirely gone and it is swimming around. It does appear to be visually impaired. It swims until it hits something and then turns and when I put food in front of its face it still often misses it and it can't or won't eat food in the water column. But overall it looks like it might recover. The label calls for a 10-day treatment so I'll keep it in the HT (a 40 breeder) for another five days.
I had a harlequin tusk that was blind. He did eat, but like you say, it took him a few tries.

Update on my non-dead Trigger: after five days in hospital tank with Fishmox antibacterial treatment, the spots on the Trigger are entirely gone and it is swimming around. It does appear to be visually impaired. It swims until it hits something and then turns and when I put food in front of its face it still often misses it and it can't or won't eat food in the water column. But overall it looks like it might recover. The label calls for a 10-day treatment so I'll keep it in the HT (a 40 breeder) for another five days.
Congrat!
He can be blind for a while but he will recover.

Two weeks later, and the situation is identical. No physical blemishes and fin rot is not getting worse, may be improving a bit. Eats fine, but remains pretty severely visually impaired though not 100% blind. Have to put food in front of face and sometimes still misses, can't eat from the water stream. I have in HT 40 gallon breeder with penguin biowheel filter and is getting hard to control nitrates, up to 10-20 ppm now despite extensive water changes (about 100% over course of week).
Is there anything more to be done in terms of treating it. I'm going to be traveling soon so I think I'll put it back in the main tank in a week or so and hope for the best.

Put several large pieces of live rock in the tank to reduce the nitrate.
10 to 20 ppm is not bad at all.
I will keep him in the same tank until his is totally cured.
He should gain its eye sight back.
Also keep the water temperate around 80F and put an air stone in for oxygen.

Since you are using antibiotics instead of copper, the live rock in the QT tank is reusable.

OK, thanks. I have a powerhead as well as penguin filter providing water movement, so I assume I don't need an airstone as well, right?

When you raise the temperature to 80F, it is better to use an airstone unless there is a skimmer on the QT tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you raise the temperature to 80F, it is better to use an airstone unless there is a skimmer on the QT tank.

2 quick questions, Dong. I've done what you recommended. I haven't moved live rock yet (I don't have any movable big pieces but could move a bunch of medium size). I've had to siphon out the food he doesn't eat and was worried that with the live rock I might not be able to siphon as well and it would end up being worse for nutrients. Do you have thoughts on that? Today nitrates were at least 30. I did a 50% water change.
Second, my son was here and he was wondering if the fish might have a parasite. It has never grown very well since we've had it, so Eli hypothesizes that he might have a parasite and that this made him more vulnerable to the fungal infection which is why he was affected and other fifteen weren't. So he said we might consider a prazipro treatment while he's in the ht. Do you think that's a good idea?
Thanks

A parasite treatment is a good idea since he is in QT.
Small to medium size live rock are great for QT tank as they have more surface area that large pieces.
For uneaten food, siphon it out is good.

Also nitrate at 30 is not a big concern for the fish.

If it goes up to 50 too 100, then do more water change.

Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, it's currently all Talking Heads - same as it ever was! I've got it in the 40g ht and it is doing fine but remains either blind or seriously visually impaired so has to be hand-fed (I use tweezers to put some lrs fish frenzy right in front of it and then it eats well, but anything that falls off it can't find and I have to siphon out). No more external marks, looks well fed, fin rot hasn't repaired but not getting worse. I'm currently doing Prazipro treatment. Nitrates are under control at 10-15 with the live rock and water changes.
Worried now that the blindness is permanent.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back