afboundguy's downsizing (or upgrading???) 25 gallon cube build

I'm patiently waiting... Last ones I got didn't make it so I was holding off until I measured my PAR and its in the good acan range but now the plague is upon us so I'm holding off until the dust settles...
I understand totally! Strange times indeed. Let me know when you're ready, I'm sure we can go in on some acan packs :)

Little video of white worm feeding earlier today. These fish are turning into absolute pigs!!!

Forgot to post this last night but a favia I picked up was able to snag itself a nice white worm!!!

20200331_151319_HDR.jpg

Our deaf and half blind puppy wasn't looking forward to helping out with the tank today...

20200401_082214.jpg

So today I did a water change and tested my parametes as it's been a bit since I last tested after automating 2 part dosing. Alk was around an 11-12 and calcium was around 460-480. Not horrible but a little too high for my liking. I shut off the pumps for today and I'll test again tomorrow and once they drop I'll start back up the dosing and lower the amount. I was at 20 ml each dosed 10 times a day (20 for the alk 5 minutes apart as 2 ml clouded up the tank even though it's fed basically into my MP10)

I also did a water change on the pod culture and used a 53 micron sieve to capture a few pods and threw them in with the fresh saltwater mix. I also took some phyto and bottled it up and threw it in the wine cooler for a back up and added more saltwater and fertilizer to the phyto cultures. Also gave thw white worms some cat food :eek:

Biggest thing I did today was work on the mandarin spot feeder. I purchased some funnels from Market Basket and I used the smallest one for the set up. I'm using the other two larger ones to bottle up/facilitate water changes for the phyto and pods...

20200401_133139.jpg

I then used a heat gun to bend the little tab so I could mount it to a screw in my canopy...

20200401_133141_HDR.jpg

Then I cut a small piece of larger tubing and used the heat gun to melt it so I could put it over the bottom of the funnel...

20200401_133144.jpg
20200401_133340.jpg

Next I heated up the other end of the small flexible tubing and after cutting off some of the rigid tubing from the mandarin feeder to lower it I was able to attach them together...

20200401_133635.jpg
20200401_133639.jpg

I ended up not needing to put a screw in the canopy for the funnel to the hang on as I moved the whole feeder to the rear of the tank below the MP10 and shoved it in the sand as best I could and it's pretty snug. I will have to cut the rigid tubing some more as it's still to high to easily dump the live baby brines into.

20200401_144811.jpg
20200401_144822_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20200401_144822_HDR.jpg
    20200401_144822_HDR.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 227
So had a fun day with the tank today... Started out feeding the fish some LRS food and then I got to cleaning the skimmer as it was a complete mess and long overdue. The skimmer body was full or algea and coraline...

20200402_190238_HDR.jpg

Then I cleaned the glass and saw my family of stomas whole live on the glass cleaner taking a ride!

20200402_164155.jpg
20200402_164158_HDR.jpg

The most exciting thing that happened with the tank today was seeing that my move towards better quality food and live foods has paid off. I had been noticing my clowns have been extra fiesty when my hands have been in the tank and today was way worse... So after I finished cleaning the glass I decided to take a look around the RBTAs and found out my clowns finally did the dirty dance of love!!! Time to start culturing rotifers!!!

20200402_185902.jpg
20200402_185900.jpg

Not sure what day of the spawn it is as I hadn't totally been paying attention to when they actually spawned but it's day 4 since I saw the eggs and I checked on the eggs today before work and they're nice and silvery clear with big black spots. If I had to guess I'd say it's day 5 or 6...

I'll have to check daily once they hatch for the next egg laying session and track it to get a better timeline incase I can't get them to lay on a tile and I'm stuck trying to get them out once they hatch at night.

20200405_165329.jpg

Day 7 post clownfish dirty dancing episode and the eggs are still there. I can clearly see 2 eyes in the egg sacks now. I almost feel bad that they'll soon be tank food but I don't have the means to raise them yet :cool: I couldn't get a picture of them because I couldn't get the DSLR camera in the corner and even when I tried on my cell phone the silly RBTA was in the way...

But check out some other pictures I snapped http://bostonreefers.org/forums/index.php?threads/just-messing-around.168240/

I did end up lowering the funnel on the mandarin feeder today and did some practice runs using the tank turkey baster to pour water in and much better with it being lower now...

20200408_164854_HDR.jpg

Eggs are still there so I must have caught the breeding on day 1 (first pic with the orange eggs) as this would be day 8. I went to check on them last night (technically this morning) at 2am when I got home from work with a flashlight when the tank lights were out and I saw their little eyes still looking back at me swaying in the flow...

I double checked on them this morning when I just woke up and they were still there. It was funny as afboundguy's better 1/2 was getting ready for her first classroom Zoom with all her kids (she's a 5th grade teacher) and she's using the better computer which is in the room with the tank and she actually made a comment about how nice the tank has been looking, which is awesome because she has hated the tank for years now due to various reasons and I've always enjoyed this hobby more when she has liked the tank. There is also a direct correlation with her interest in the tank and the amount of money I'm allowed to spend on the hobby with out pissing her off so fingers crossed!!!

Back to where I was going in the previous paragraph... As she was mentioning how nice the tank has been looking and watching the clowns come to the front of the tank to beg for food, which they're getting good at, we saw a hermit grab getting a little too close to the eggs and both clowns darted to the anenomes/egg area and started WW3. It was the largest hermit in the tank and they both started pecking the crap out of it trying to knock it over. It was a stalemate when I had to leave the room for afboundguy's better 1/2's classroom Zoom meeting but I'm putting my money on the clowns...

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back