After 4+ years of LED I'm going back to halide

I do I do reminisce about the good old days when you could like pic on different pictures of fish tanks and they would show you a color your tank would be and I have two LED setups for my life planted and even though there's a boat between both independent set up so it's got to be roughly 600000 to the 600,000 power I mean literally that many different color combinations however they all run at 6400 Kelvin? I am don't want to come across as argumentative I just think it's an interesting discussion I thought you were brought up a very interesting debate I just can't see how it could possibly be any cheaper or at least the same cost and as far as you're going to need a chiller you don't want to side note not to abruptly change the subject I just think this is interesting when I was in high school I had to go to projection of school cuz I actually work for movie theater and I had to learn how to run the projection are and I worked with a company called Boston light and sound and we used to have to work with the middle Halid that was like roughly the size of a roll of paper towels had to use a metal Halid from Boston light and sound and the only way we could see iis effectively working with by looking at a piece of opaque three-quarter inch lucite and to see if the ark was still making a half moon. But back to the aquarium and also don't you think that evaporation is going to be more of a problem now as well

First picture was taken on December 16th, the second today the 26th. Just more props to halides... I can't get over the growth and color, it really is almost visible daily.
IMG_0802.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0863.JPG.jpeg

Amazing growth and great color. Now your tank makes me thinking to dump my Radion G4 pro to go back to MH again.

Dump the G4.
If your tank is big enough to buffer the heat form Metal Halide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dong what would you say is large enough to buffer the heat?

For a 250w halide, you can get away without a chiller with something like a 75 gallon tank.

Hahaha exactly

First of all, evaporation is more to do with air flow over the water surface and water temperature. While metal halide does radiate IR energy into the tank, the heater will work less to maintain the set temperature. So evaporation may not be more under metal halide.

Second, there is a big difference between Perceived color by human eyes vs actual color with the corresponding wavelength of light. RGB leds can “trick” human eyes to see millions of color by varying the intensities of three wavelength: red, green and blue. It is how TV works. In reality, there are only three narrow wavelength of light. These type of led has less value in photosynthesis for coral.

Last edited:
For reference.... I've got 3 250 watt halides over my tank, it's a 180, and the temp rises about .2-.4 degrees during the 6 hours they are on. I also have a bumper over the tank that traps heat, will need to go for the summer months. Lights are about 13 inches above the tank.

I reworked the left side. There were 2 large chalice colonies I wanted to remove. Each was between 8 to 10 inches and taking up too much real estate. As usual it became a much bigger project than anticipated but I'm happy over all. I'm keeping a roughly 4 inch piece of each (Miami hurricane, watermelon) and cutting up the rest which I'll sell later.

Redone left
20180214_191307.jpg

Middle
20180214_191333.jpg

Right
20180214_191249.jpg

Looks great! Fantastic growth!

I tried the Hamilton 14k bulb for about 10 days and decided that without t5 (or maybe led strip) it was too white for my tastes, I guess I'll be sticking with the radium 20k bulb

Everytime i see your tank I miss my old one :confused:
Looks so healthy and natural. Definitely a totm material

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back