After 4+ years of LED I'm going back to halide

Acropora millepora. All the white growth happened in about a month none of those branches were there much less any of the white

acropora micropthalma colored up and branching. This piece was a single straight stick just over a month ago.

Acropora cervicornis none of that growth cluster was there a month ago it's now a good 2 inches (that includes all branches. I don't believe that a coral will grow 24 inches in a year. Period LOL)

Nice growth chris. I think I will deff try out a duel 250w de fixture on my frag tank to see if I get any improvement. At least then I will know what lighting I will go with when a custom order a tank for my basement and get rid of my 120. Weather it's more radions or a bunch of metal halides

I just changed over my frag tank from T-5s to two 150W MH with two 39W T-5s I'm using 14K Phoenix with Luxcore adjustable ballasts the frag tank is only eight inches deep so I have plenty of light. Its been a long time since I've had MH but you really can't beat them, I agree they are going to make a BIG comeback.

Jim

Do you guys recommend a single ended mh or a double ended? There are some nice looking combo double ended / T5 fixtures out there but not sure if they will be as effective as a mogul bulb.

Both will work.
Single end fixture allow you to use radium bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In terms of efficiency of SE vs DE, it is more to do with the type of ballast used.
I like Radium 20K better so I use SE.
In terms of heat, I found that I use more electricity in winter using LED instead of halide.
Halide radiate IR energy straight inside the tank which helps a lot.

The bottom line is that no matter what types of lighting you choose, they will work as long as you are buying quality fixtures.
There is no electricity saving using LED in northern part of the country.

I've been considering switching from all t5 to mh plus t5 but I'm worried about my energy bill. Have you noticed a difference as we get to the hotter months?

Well no but....

My tank is in a finished basement in a house with central air. It never gets above 74 in that room.

My electric bill went down the 1st full month after I switched because my 1000w of heaters were not cycling on and off for 24/7 anymore

Last edited:
I think this may be true as well

I just have to disagree with you on this.
I think MH is dead for good (along time ago) because
The appealing of their reflector/pendant
Heating is the big factor
Not many manufactures making MH bulbs any more (why would they when there is no demand)
LED these days is capable of growing SPS
Whatever people say or claim. the technology is not going backward, only some stubborn hobbyist is going backward.

There are people still using MH because
MH works for them now and they don't want to change.
MH had worked for them in the past, yet they failed with LED
those tank photographers that like to show off their tank, and corals, always making sure their tank or coral photos must look perfect, these people hates LED :)

MH is not totally dead yet. Phoenix, ushio, and Radium are still alive and kicking but all other lesser quality products vanished, which is a good thing IMO.

For good quality led, it is hard to beat their popping color and programmability.
So all lighting technologies are working just depends on the needs and budgets.

I have LED's on a cube and when I set up a bigger tank it'll definitely be mh. All the technology in the world can't compensate for cost to growth ratio. Just my opinion.

You stated you tried LED for four years. I assume this means four year old technology. I am new to reefing and just got my first saltwater tank. From my research LEDs have come a long way in the past year or two for reefing. I am not saying one is superior to the other as I have no clue. It would be great if two identical setups could be placed side by side one with MH and the other with current LEDs to examine growth / color etc.

So years go by, led as coral light source has progressed significantly. Now we have a lot more understanding about led and many initial claims about led have been tested and or debunked.

First is the claim that led last for 10 to 12 years hence no bulb changes is needed. But the reality is that high power led chips just don't last as long as people wish.

2nd is the electricity saving. It is true for house-whole lighting while Lumin is important instead of PAR. Also during colder month, it is a wash in terms of electricity saving vs MH as the heaters have to work harder. By the way, both MH and high output t5 generate a lot of heat.

Lack of coverage is another short fall for led.
So MH and T5 still the most economic choices for large aquariums.

Led cast harsh shadows no matter what optics used. No, the Radion G4 is not that much better. That is just how the light source behaves. In order to minimize shadowing, you can either supplement t5 or plaster the top of the tank with more led fixtures.

Last edited:
But led do give some of the most stunning color in the hobby.
Led also gives the best visual effects for Sunrise and sunset.
Also led comes in small and cool looking packages.

i went with LED for several of the reasons dong mentioned. i don't have central AC, so heat was a big concern of mine as well. they are definitely nice and completely customizable, which i appreciate; i am constantly playing with the color spectrum for dusk and dawn.

For nano aquarium, led is the best choice and some times the only choice. Metal halide will cook a nano and t5 only comes as 24 inch as the shortest.
Powercompact fell off the market and replacement bulbs are hard to find.

Since led are not created equally, well, the gaps are light years away, there are many good led and 10 times more crappy ones.

I have the Red Sea Reefer 250 Deluxe that comes with the two AI 26HDs. It is not a nano but also not a large tank. So far I don't feel a lack of coverage or have any shadows. I think these work well for this setup or at least they work well for me. If I ever decide to get a larger tank I'll need to research more about MH lighting.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back