AI 16HD Led for 29 biocube???

KJB

BRS Member
Since getting out back in 2010 so much has changed and so much has stayed the same.
LED was all the rage...
Halogen and T5 defended their existence...

It looks like things have landed on T5 LED mix is best.. I'll check in again in 10 years to see how everyones Phoenix 14000K is doing... lol

I have a 29 biocube rimless (thank you Angelo) cycling. 2 1/2 inches of sand, 35 lbs rock, gonna do flow mod, add media, have rio 350 gph pump, K1, blah blah blah.

I was formerly FOWLR and sea horses. I am ready to begin coral, when the tanks stable of course.
I want them all.. starting soft, eventually acros, maybe even a clam (with a seperate spot light). Anyways, I like the look and reviews of the AI 16 HD LED. Many people in the community are using them on similar tanks. They have a little bit of " disco ball" effect so far as i can tell, but better than previous versions. I want to try it out and can get the diffuser if desired.

I have always had good luck with all of you at Boston Reefers...

Should I go for this light? Any GOOD reason not too?
Hoping to order very very soon. I am almost done with the cycle! I may do a build thread too.
20200413_141353.jpg
20200413_141547.jpg
20200413_141647.jpg

Thanks all

Thanks Chris!
If an upgrade is needed down the road so be it, im hoping this would be sufficient for hard coral too with some adjusting of light parameters and careful coral placement.
Is that reasonable to assume??

AI LED fixtures work for growing coral. I have a 3D Reefing diffuser on a Hydra 52 HD that has completely removed the distracting disco light effect. The diffuser gives the tank a nice glow and some soft shimmer.

Thanks Chris!
If an upgrade is needed down the road so be it, im hoping this would be sufficient for hard coral too with some adjusting of light parameters and careful coral placement.
Is that reasonable to assume??
Yes you’ll be all set until you visually can see shading. That could take a year plus of growth to get to that point.

Hi there, I would say take a look at my build thread as I just finished a build similar to yours. As far as the "disco ball effect" you can always go the route of a diffuser. I personally didn't and noticed as the tank filled up and your coralline algae grew in it became a lot less noticeable. I have been extremely happy with Hydras and stuck with 3 x 26's on my new build. I didn't upgrade to the newer versions because of the thicker cable and mounting issues with the bracket. Best of luck and welcome back!

http://bostonreefers.org/forums/ind...ubey-nano-reef-build-final-post.165805/unread

Hi there, I would say take a look at my build thread as I just finished a build similar to yours. As far as the "disco ball effect" you can always go the route of a diffuser. I personally didn't and noticed as the tank filled up and your coralline algae grew in it became a lot less noticeable. I have been extremely happy with Hydras and stuck with 3 x 26's on my new build. I didn't upgrade to the newer versions because of the thicker cable and mounting issues with the bracket. Best of luck and welcome back!

http://bostonreefers.org/forums/ind...ubey-nano-reef-build-final-post.165805/unread
Hey Jcan! Thanks for the warm welcome!
I had read your build thread yesterday, what you accomplished is amazing! Easily TOTM on any site.. seriously well done!
Again as a former fowlr, my practical reef knowledge is limited..
Youre running the hydra 26? Im guessing thats significantly more color and output than the 16HD im thinking of getting. Your results cannot be questioned, and that type of growth is the goal. Money being an object, do you feel the 16HD, a little closer to the surface, with a good light cycle, will be sufficient? I understand that youre not using the AI, but i would love to hear your opinion.
Thanks!

You don’t necessarily wanna place the light closer to the water as that’ll reduces spread and create a hot spot of par. The sweet spot with these newer optics on the hydras are in the 12-14” above water level to create a better blanket of light under it.

I have a hydra 32 above a 18x18 Red Sea reefer and have the light in that sweet spot and have been ramping it up over the last few weeks and just now am I getting to where I want. Uv/V maxed. Blues over 100 and white at 30 and that’s along with reefbrite supplements front and back.

if you plan to keep acropora you’ll definitely wanna opt for the 32 or plan on adding another 16 down theroad as the 16 in my opinion wouldn’t be sufficient enough alone for acropora, But I would agree on some thought out placement of sps will be okay.

Hey Jcan! Thanks for the warm welcome!
I had read your build thread yesterday, what you accomplished is amazing! Easily TOTM on any site.. seriously well done!
Again as a former fowlr, my practical reef knowledge is limited..
Youre running the hydra 26? Im guessing thats significantly more color and output than the 16HD im thinking of getting. Your results cannot be questioned, and that type of growth is the goal. Money being an object, do you feel the 16HD, a little closer to the surface, with a good light cycle, will be sufficient? I understand that youre not using the AI, but i would love to hear your opinion.
Thanks!
Thank you so much for your compliment. I am running the Hydra 26 currently. I definitely think you will get the color from the 16. The only issue I would see with putting the light closer is the amount of spread would be somewhat limited. As you mentioned you could always add another later down the road. I believe there are still some good deals on the 26's and a few on the 32's (opened box) where you could spend $80 -$100 more and be good to go for a while rather than adjusting in the future. If you look at total cost this would be more cost effective in the long run and you would be good to go out of the gate! I think this is the best route for success without breaking the bank.

Thank you so much for your compliment. I am running the Hydra 26 currently. I definitely think you will get the color from the 16. The only issue I would see with putting the light closer is the amount of spread would be somewhat limited. As you mentioned you could always add another later down the road. I believe there are still some good deals on the 26's and a few on the 32's (opened box) where you could spend $80 -$100 more and be good to go for a while rather than adjusting in the future. If you look at total cost this would be more cost effective in the long run and you would be good to go out of the gate! I think this is the best route for success without breaking the bank.
That seems to be the consensus. Either double the 16 later or just get a 26 or 32 now.
Definitely a savings doing it now.. more to spend on corals later lol
Thank you!

You don’t necessarily wanna place the light closer to the water as that’ll reduces spread and create a hot spot of par. The sweet spot with these newer optics on the hydras are in the 12-14” above water level to create a better blanket of light under it.

I have a hydra 32 above a 18x18 Red Sea reefer and have the light in that sweet spot and have been ramping it up over the last few weeks and just now am I getting to where I want. Uv/V maxed. Blues over 100 and white at 30 and that’s along with reefbrite supplements front and back.

if you plan to keep acropora you’ll definitely wanna opt for the 32 or plan on adding another 16 down theroad as the 16 in my opinion wouldn’t be sufficient enough alone for acropora, But I would agree on some thought out placement of sps will be okay.
Hey thanks!
A 32 wow! I never would have thought to put that much on an 18 cube, but thats why I'm here asking the pros.
Do you diffuse that? I'm curious about how much light goes outside the glass?

Hey thanks!
A 32 wow! I never would have thought to put that much on an 18 cube, but thats why I'm here asking the pros.
Do you diffuse that? I'm curious about how much light goes outside the glass?
That’s one on the reason I actually don’t run a diffuser on the light, I find with the diffuser it spills a little bit too much but then again I could place it closer to the tank with the diffuser which I have not tried changing the height with or without. I have one but have switched back and forth and have come to like it without it.

the optics on the light actually direct the light very well into the take with little spill and when sitting on the couch I don’t get blinded by the light looking at the tank. Minimal glare outwards.

I have had radions, and a reefbreeders light but have always come back to the hydra, it’s a great light.

I've got no helpful input on the light but I absolutely love your rockwork. Looks really organic and natural and the middle cave section is super dope! Great job and I'm stoked to see it get filled in with some colorful corals.

That’s one on the reason I actually don’t run a diffuser on the light, I find with the diffuser it spills a little bit too much but then again I could place it closer to the tank with the diffuser which I have not tried changing the height with or without. I have one but have switched back and forth and have come to like it without it.

the optics on the light actually direct the light very well into the take with little spill and when sitting on the couch I don’t get blinded by the light looking at the tank. Minimal glare outwards.

I have had radions, and a reefbreeders light but have always come back to the hydra, it’s a great light.
Thats really helpful. I've been concerned about the spill over.
Thank you!

I've got no helpful input on the light but I absolutely love your rockwork. Looks really organic and natural and the middle cave section is super dope! Great job and I'm stoked to see it get filled in with some colorful corals.
Thanks spooky!
I really wanted a more natural look while having some shelf area for corals.

Thats really helpful. I've been concerned about the spill over.
Thank you!
If you end up getting a 32 and wanna try a diffuser before you buy one you’re more than welcome to try the one I have to see if you like or dislike it!

If you end up getting a 32 and wanna try a diffuser before you buy one you’re more than welcome to try the one I have to see if you like or dislike it!
Wow thanks! Really cool man!
I'm searching to see if there are any black open box or sales on the 32.
It seems it is too good of a light to return or put on sale.
The 26 is only $20 or so less so im talking myself into needing a 32 lol
The mounting arm is almost double too.

An AI Prime 16HD put out a lot of light, two Prime 16 HD actually will out shine a single Hydra32HD, and they actually will get you to a level close to Hydra 64HD.

It is very interesting how AI line up their led lights:
Hydra 64HD is 135w
Hydra 32 HD is 90w
Prime 16 HD is 59w

So two Prime 16HD will give you 118w, that is pretty close to the 135W Hydra 64HD since one most likely not going to run the Hydra 64HD at max power due to the heat generated from 4 very closely positioned led clusters.

you can space the two Prime further away to maximize coverage.

The AI prime 16HD is a wonderful LED and has the best bang of the $. There have been known for a long time, actually started by AI themselves, to cover a tank with multiple Primes since Prime came to the market.

disclaimer:
I am a retailer that sell Reefbreeders, AI, Radion LED.
The reason to choose one over the other is purely based on the type of coral to keep, the tank size, one’s preference and budget.

in terms value, reliability and warranty service. I highly recommend Reefbreeders led.

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back