AI Prime 16HD Initial Impressions

Puff Daddy

Non-member
This is an initial impression review. I have a full review on my YouTube channel, Puff Daddy Reef. I took some initial PAR readings and sound tests with a decibel meter.

Pros:
-Proven spectrum enhanced with 3 more LEDs
-Powerful! PAR output directly under light is on par (lol) with the Kessil A360X. Some caveats though, see my YouTube review for numbers and full details.
-Moonlight in a unique yellow color (this a con if you don't like yellow moon lights)
-Minimal light separation but still more than Kessil. Color separation shows up more on camera than with your eyes.
-Built in Bluetooth works flawlessly for adjusting settings.
-Light has the same great looks.
-Removable dust screen so you can clean off the ugly dust buildup on the old versions. Also enables you to clean the fan.
-Price, this light will grow coral and has plenty of power. All for only $210 + mounting hardware.

Cons:
-No more wifi which means you can only configure settings from the phone. No more offsite or desktop control of your lights.
-User interface on the phone app could be improved, especially in the manual demo mode.
-The fan is pretty loud at 100% output. I measured the decibel output of it on my YouTube review
-Zero mounting hardware included, not even a screw. Don't forget to buy a mounting kit!

Summary: Better LED cluster with improved but not perfect blending. Plenty of power and stylish looks. Wifi replaced with Bluetooth. Still a little loud at 100% but for most small nano tanks you probably won't need to run it that hot. Very good light for the price.

Happy Reefing, Puff Daddy Reef.

I will consider the bluetooth is a major step forward. It is more reliable than wifi as the airway is jammed with all sorts of wifi signals. The wifi antenna used to be a weak point for Hydra. I had several older gen hydra with weak wifi signals that needed to be serviced.
also there is really little need for configuring your lighting when you are not next to the light any way.

It is funny that the power level of an AI prime can match a Kessil X.

The moonlight is more natural in my opinion, blue moon is so rare to begin with.,, pun intended.

I watched the video and it is great!
Here are several comments
1. Kessil does not own a patent for their dense matrix led nor the lens. The patent they had was on the cooling fan that remove the highly concentrated heat generated from the jammed packed LED cluster.

2. Despite Ecotech purchased AI, AI is still operate independently for R&D and manufacturing despite Customer Service is handled by Ecotech.

keep up the great work! Looking forward to your review of Hydra32 and 64HD.

Hi Dong do you have any light hydra26
I don’t have any Hydra26.
I have new Hydra32HD.
Looking at the new Hydra32HD, there is little reason to buy the previous generation Hydra26HD.
The New Hydra32HD is significantly more water proof than the 26HD.

I don’t have any Hydra26.
I have new Hydra32HD.
Looking at the new Hydra32HD, there is little reason to buy the previous generation Hydra26HD.
The New Hydra32HD is significantly more water proof than the 26HD.

Would a 32HD be good for a sps dominant 24”L x24”W x 20”H reef

No plan to compare vs radion right now. I am going all in in the Kessil 360X. So far I am loving it. FYI. If anyone wants to buy the light of me, send me a PM. It is like brand new. I decided not to set up the nano tank and focus on my primary tank.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back