AI Prime 16HD

kl3377

Non-member
I ordered an AI Prime 16HD to put over my sump which also houses my Mocha Clowns (I raised) and 8 or so Green BTAs, both I have had for over 10 years. Definitely overkill but the cheap LED fixture I put over the sump (Nicrew 24w) when my skimmer overflowed and killed my Marineland fixture wasn't doing the job. I figured if my Kessil failed over my display it would be a quick fix to move the Prime.

I have been playing around with the myAI app for a few days now and I have to say I feel like the App is underwhelming. There are a few things in particular off the top of my head that I will mention later but I wanted to hear from others using the myAI app and their opinions - positive and negative. Thanks

I agree, it is not the most user friendly. Once I got my settings dialed in thought I haven't felt the need to adjust.

Nice color though and the corals love it. Still miss my T5s. Will probably go hybrid when I upgrade.

The app was hard for me to figure out in the beginning with acclimation mode and all that. Now that I’ve done it a ton and have a good schedule I just go in and raise the intensity a bit every couple of weeks. I now like the app.
If you need help getting presets I have a couple I can try sending to you or just show you how to get some good ones. Good luck

I should clarify that the light itself looks great and it seems like performance will not be an issue. My focus is on the App

My list of areas where they fell short:
1. Status screen - You can not see the name of preset you are running, current outputs, Kelvin, fan speed, etc. or as simple as whether the light, fan, is even on/working (mine is in basement). You can slide the orange line and see the outputs change but it would be nice to look at a home screen and see more information.
2. Unless I am missing something you can only create light schedules while you are connected to the light via bluetooth. The app actually has zero functionality when not connected.
3. Easy Set Up Mode - I love this feature. I would love for it to include the Kelvin circle feature (which rules) that is available under the Edit button.
4. You can not edit the name of a Preset once saved. Also, the only way to edit a saved Preset is to make it active, make your changes, and save it under a new name.

I just feel like the App doesn't live up to the quality of the light itself. I will admit that I am spoiled by the functionality of the Hydros App, so maybe I am not being completely fair. I know I will not be disappointed by the light itself, I bought it for a reason.

I should clarify that the light itself looks great and it seems like performance will not be an issue. My focus is on the App

My list of areas where they fell short:
1. Status screen - You can not see the name of preset you are running, current outputs, Kelvin, fan speed, etc. or as simple as whether the light, fan, is even on/working (mine is in basement). You can slide the orange line and see the outputs change but it would be nice to look at a home screen and see more information.
2. Unless I am missing something you can only create light schedules while you are connected to the light via bluetooth. The app actually has zero functionality when not connected.
3. Easy Set Up Mode - I love this feature. I would love for it to include the Kelvin circle feature (which rules) that is available under the Edit button.
4. You can not edit the name of a Preset once saved. Also, the only way to edit a saved Preset is to make it active, make your changes, and save it under a new name.

I just feel like the App doesn't live up to the quality of the light itself. I will admit that I am spoiled by the functionality of the Hydros App, so maybe I am not being completely fair. I know I will not be disappointed by the light itself, I bought it for a reason.
I agree. And I've used the older prime hd which are a little easier to use. But still think their app is hit or miss most of the time.
I also have a brand new 16hd which I haven’t used based on trying to run a low saxby I downloaded and been using on two of nano tanks currently running.

Last edited:
I don’t like the slide feature on the intensity. I find it difficult to slide precisely into a set percentage. It would be nice to be able to double tap on the slide bar and keyboard comes up and I can enter my exact intensity percentage for each color. Or that option is available but I’m just not aware?

I was able to find this on their site:

The new series of AI Lights are controlled via Bluetooth or BLE. We will be releasing WiFi controllability for the AI Lights at a later date, once development is complete. The steps below will assist you in connecting your new AI Light to the myAI app on your smartphone/tablet.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back