Air Exchangers

PSU4ME

BRS Member
Looking to see if folks have done this in their “fish rooms”. My tank is in my basement and the business side is in a fish room that’s used for the house systems, storage etc and it’s about 500 sqft.

I would like to at a minimum suck air out to help with smell but was thinking of an air exchanger to not only remove the old/smelly air but to also replace it with clean outside air to reduce the co2 and maybe help with PH.

Are there any systems folks installed or would recommend looking at? Access is not an issue.

Thanks!

I was considering one primarily to get my PH up without having to use kalk or lime ash. Instead I ran an air line into my attic. I went from 7.8ish to 8.2ish and the other tank in the same room’s PH has also gone up even though it’s not tied to it just from the main skimmer bringing in outside air.

Looking to see if folks have done this in their “fish rooms”. My tank is in my basement and the business side is in a fish room that’s used for the house systems, storage etc and it’s about 500 sqft.

I would like to at a minimum suck air out to help with smell but was thinking of an air exchanger to not only remove the old/smelly air but to also replace it with clean outside air to reduce the co2 and maybe help with PH.

Are there any systems folks installed or would recommend looking at? Access is not an issue.

Thanks!
@Keith B has one installed recently.

Consider a Heat Recovery Ventilation system. That way you aren't just exhausting away all the heat (in the winter) or coolness (in the summer). I have a tight house and run a whole house version which supposedly recovers 75% of the heat leaving in the exhaust air stream and uses it to heat up the incoming air. Vice versa in the summer.

Thanks Joe, those were the ones I was looking at. Need to decide on if it’s just that room or something more substantial for the house. When the house was built it was super tight. We have a bathroom fan that by code needs to kick on every now and then. I think an air exchanger can help.

Few different options to get my skimmer better air so I’ll play around with that this weekend.

Are there companies that specialize in these exchangers? Not paying my hvac company $500 an hour that’s for sure

A little off topic from your post but does ph have to remain stable? Mine goes from 8.3 peak day down to 8.05 at night. Is this common? Is it a problem? Tank is mixed reef if it matters.

A little off topic from your post but does ph have to remain stable? Mine goes from 8.3 peak day down to 8.05 at night. Is this common? Is it a problem? Tank is mixed reef if it matters.
If you run a refugium, reverse lighting it will help stabilize the ph

I just put an ERV in my home. You want to be able to regulate/control the air coming into your home. I built a fairly tight home and tried to minimize the air infiltration from gaps and cracks by sealing them. An ERV is a great choice for our climate. The air being taken out of the home either warms or cools the air coming into the home using an air exchange coil. I think it’s a good thing to have in a home. Fresh air!!!

Yeah I think I’m convinced that it’ll be beneficial. I now need to source a vendor and see how they’d set it up. I really want the basement air changed, where the tank is but I’ve seen the tied into the home ducting which isn’t how I control the basement temp (mitsu ductless). So I want to find someone who will come quote me.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back