Algae Barn Warning

MrX

Non-member
Just an FYI warning to anyone here that might have an account at, or used AlgaeBarn (https://www.algaebarn.com/).

I purchased some stuff there the other night (2-3 days ago) and was expecting it to ask me to create an account while I was placing my order. It didn't, so I created one right after. When I logged in I noticed that it had somehow attached someone else's name, address, previous order (from 3 days before mine) to my account. There's no payment info visible, but that may just because the person didn't save it in their account.

I thought the data I was seeing might have been "default" values that didn't get updated, so I logged out and back in. No change. The data isn't related to anyone on their "about" page either.

I emailed their support immediately after seeing this, including screenshots. As of now they haven't responded.

I'd suggest if you have an account there that you remove any payment methods you may have stored. Not sure if this is really an issue with their system or something else, but better safe than sorry.

If they respond to my email I'll update this post.

I ordered last week and I’ve heard nothing. Signed back in with the “list password” feature and it doesn’t even show I ordered. Trying to get ahold of them and nothing. CC is charged $150 though.

I ordered last week and I’ve heard nothing. Signed back in with the “list password” feature and it doesn’t even show I ordered. Trying to get ahold of them and nothing. CC is charged $150 though.

Damn! That sucks. I guess I should be happy that I got a tracking # today. (I ordered some chaeto, pods, and got a free macro with the Mother's Day code).

Their site is definitely going though something; it's extremely slow.

Hope they respond to you, and that your order goes through... or that you get your money back with few issues.

Well. I just went to their site and it won’t even let me sign in. Hopefully, if something is up, they are handling it. I haven’t ordered anything in a good bit. My mandarin jumped to “freedom.” I would have never worried they were jumpers. Anyway.. now I’m not in need of a crap ton of pods regularly. Thank you for the heads up!

They keep sending out emails of weekly winners and in stock items but the website is a mess. I don’t get it.

They keep sending out emails of weekly winners and in stock items but the website is a mess. I don’t get it.
They have a fantastic set of products. But their social media suggests so much more. But the website is pretty rudimentary. Agreed.

Yup, I've seen those. Looks like they've also partnered with Bulk Reef Supply, as you can order stuff there, and it will ship directly from AB.

Half of their website isn't even functional. Lots of links don't go anywhere. If I hadn't seen them around for a long time I would have never placed an order based on the website state/performance.

Still no response from AlgaeBarn.

I got an email that my order was shipped, but it's been sitting in this tracking state for two days:

May 11, 2020, 7:04 pm
Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending
DENVER, CO 80266
Your shipment was received at 7:04 pm on May 11, 2020 in DENVER, CO 80266. The acceptance of your package is pending.

Looking that message up ("Package Acceptance Pending") says that the vendor could have printed the label but not actually done anything with it yet. Or it could be sitting on a pallet somewhere waiting for hand-off to USPS.

Useless.

Last edited:
I think you may be correct, usually when that happens they have created a label for it but has not been dropped off

Thanks for paying for my order:)

lol. Wasn't me, I don't save payment info on websites for this exact reason.

Unless of course they have an even bigger problem and something else is capturing payment details. In that case "?? You're welcome ??"

That means they have it. It's held up there for some reason. If they printed and UPS didn't have it, it would say label printed, waiting for package.

Apparently USPS tracking sucks (think we all knew that). Last night it had the same status. Today at noon it switched to "Out for delivery". Got it around 3:30pm today.

I emailed them again about the cross-wired account details and they sent me an invite to their "support" system. A few minutes after I accepted it someone added my emails to a support ticket. It's been two days and no one has responded to the ticket.

Guess I should just be glad I got my order.

My support ticket was updated a few minutes ago. They said they fixed the wrong account data. In fact, all they did was remove the other person's order from my account. All of the other person's address details are still in my account.

Then the support person asked me for my order # so they could link it to my account. Gee, how about you read my original email where the first line says "I just placed Order # 123456".

I responded and said that, no, they hadn't actually fixed the account stuff. I also said that until the provide answers/reasons for the sharing of private data and the website performance issues I'd probably not order from them again, and I'd have to dissuade others from using them as well. If they are sharing order details, addresses, etc. who knows if payment information has been compromised as well.

At this point I'm not expecting a response, but if they do provide any details I'll update this thread.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back