1. Sign up to become a member of the Boston Reefers Society.

Algae Scrubber & Copepod Grower

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by UnderArmour1980, Jun 10, 2017.

1. UnderArmour1980

UnderArmour1980 Non-member

Hey Everyone,
    I have just recently got back into the hobby after being away from aquariums for almost five years. While doing research for my new tank setup, i came across and new DIY project that appears to be very popular. I'm talking about algae scrubbers... I've seen a variety of setups but there's one I'm going to try that I haven't seen yet. I'm going to try and make an algae scrubber that is also a breeder for copepods or other similar food sources. I figure the copepods can eat the algae which is free so then I can in turn feed those copepods to my fish. I will be taking many pictures during this DIY project. If anybody has any input please share it.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

2. AlbertG

AlbertG (BadPapi) Staff Member Officer BRS Member

Will love to see it .
    I had a algae scrubber on my 150 gallon tank and was the best purchase i did on this hoby i dint believe until i saw how many pods i had on my tank and on the scrubber everytime i clean it

UnderArmour1980 likes this.
  3. UnderArmour1980

So what you're saying is the copepods are prolific in a normal algae scrubber and maybe I shouldn't try to make one that has a call Peapod grow out area because they already grow out a lot anyways?

4. UnderArmour1980

5. AlbertG

AlbertG (BadPapi) Staff Member Officer BRS Member

Yes they will gow out and live in the algae scrubber anyways .
    They grow and eat the algae on the mesh .
    No need for a grow out place .
    The algae scrubber its allready a growout