An Amazing Fish Story (long)

jacko

Coral Curator
I have had a bicolor anthias for about 8 months. It is a very nice fish, bright yellow, with a tinge of purple on his snout. cost me $45. Over the last 2 months, has been getting very skiddish. He hides when I approach, he seems to be stir-crazy... he is in a 30 gallon tank with 2 clowns, a firefish, a barnicle blenny, and a chalk bass.

So I recently found out the male bicolor anthias can be tough to keep long-term b/c he feels the need to dominate half a dozen or more females of his species. And I think he spent 6 month looking for the females, became tired of looking, drove himself crazy and died. I have not seen him in about 3 weeks.

Until tonight. I found him in my sump. I Cannot believe it. I saw a shadow in my sump, I moved my hand toward it, it moved, then I realized it was my missing fish! So I netted him, and replaced him in the tank. He looks terrible: thin, pale, and scared to death.

The only thing he had in the sump was plenty of bubbles, noise, kalkwasser, fish poop, and heaters. I cannot believe he is alive. No solids get through the sponges (in the overflow box).

Anyway, I just anted to share.....and now, after 20 minutes, he is out exploring his old rock-work, and eating flake food by the pound !!!

And even MORE amazing, is that the opening to the sump is about 10 sqyare inches !!!!

I still have no idea how he got down there.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back