Any electrical folks

elton092982

MVP
BRS Member
Wiring ripped off the connector.
Trying to figure out if I need a new end connector for the wires or a whole new wire assembly. It's from Steve's LED's and they sell the end piece just not sure how the wiring would stay in or if it needs to be soldered . Also notice they have this below which kind of looks like this white wire .

http://www.stevesleds.com/Controller-Output-Extension_p_241.html

Attachments

• IMG_4971.JPG
    IMG_4971.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_4975.JPG
    IMG_4975.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_4976.JPG
    IMG_4976.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_4974.JPG
    IMG_4974.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 216
Are you just replacing the female coupling at the end of the black and red wires? If so that plug like will have a little metal connector that closes around the end of the wire (similar to the picture below). You need to rake the metal pin out with a small screwdriver (there's usually a clip then you just pull it out). Then open the metal connector, remove the broken wire, and insert the new end. There's a chance you won't be able to open the original crimp. If that's the case you'll need a new pin.

100sets-2-3mm-automotive-electrical-wire.jpg

Those are automotive pins. You might find at radio shack (if there are any left) if you need it in a hurry

I ordered this one from the site. It includes the pins just wondering if they are easy to come out or if they already come opened as to where you just slide the wires in.

Attachments

• IMG_4970.PNG
    IMG_4970.PNG
    215.9 KB · Views: 196
I ordered this one from the site. It includes the pins just wondering if they are easy to come out or if they already come opened as to where you just slide the wires in.

iirc, those are molex mini Jr. You'll need a crimper to attach wire to pin. I hope you ordered extra, those thing is pretty fragile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Actually you can solder the pins to the wires even if they are intended to be crimped, many of the crimp tools are pretty expensive to be used only a couple times. Getting the pins out of the old shell often involves a special tool if you can get new ones with the shell I would get a few, if you can't purchase new pins try cutting them out of the old shell with some care you should be able to remove them.

Back