Any flow experts out there?

~Flighty~

Now with more baby
I don't know what to do for flow for my 120 :( I'm getting frusterated trying to figure out what I need. Anyone out there a flow expert or know some good resources?

Tank is a 120 which is viewable from both long sides and one short side. return is flowing at 1200gph (tested).

I just don't have a feeling for

1: how much flow I would need for detrious movement and reducing dead spots.
2: can I get the job done just putting outlets and powerheads on the small end by the wall or will I need to run something in the rocks?
3: Should I realy get some motion in there and if so, how to do it?

Cindy what do you plan on keeping in the tank? If you are not going to run a closed loop you will probably need a few power heads in there.

I can do a closed loop pretty easilly, possibly with a sqwd, but what gph, and would it work from the end?

As far as what I'm keeping, getting all of that livestock in the MACNA tank has me a little oddly stocked at the moment. I have just about one of everything. I'm not too sure where I want to go with it, but probably mostly sps and some tree corals and ricordia if that ends up being compatable.

I would do the closed loop with an Ocean Motion. I would also get a bigger pump. Try for 1800-2000 gph
IMO

1800-2000 total or just on the return?
All of this is diy and plummed down to the basement, so I can set it up any way that will work.
Return pump is a dolphin ampmaster 3000

On the return I think 1200 will be good. I agree with marvin on the closed loop with the OM. I would go for at least 1800 gph on the closed loop..

It would be cheaper to run power heads, but then you have a bunch of power heads taking up valuable real estate.

There are areas on either side of the overflow that I was just going to stack rocks in anyway and I could stick powerheads in the rocks.

._______________
|_ .............|
| | ............|
|_| ............|
|_______________|

ignore the dots in the pic, the computer strips my extra spaces for some reason

Last edited:
So, what to do about motion? I'm sure the dual tunze with controller would be nice, but $700 is out of our price range.

I suggest using a closed loop with an OM 4-way rigged to use only 2 outputs and eductors on either side of the overflow. Food for thought, like your not confused enough. :)

You should be able to use the 4 outputs of an OM, and spread them out along the top border of the tank... I've seen some pictures of setups where people manage to hide the tubing pretty well on the inside lip of the tank, the only thing you see is the small piece of pipe that actually enters the water... anyway, I would definetely avoid having visible powerheads, IMHO they are the most unnatural looking thing in a tank.

Nuno

We were planning on running the pipes across the top (or under the rocks), but I would like to get away without doing that. Boy those OM things are pricy. I can't quite bring myself to pay $275 for a 4-way one and still need plumbing and a pump. I think we would opt for the tunze if we are going to shell out that much.

~Flighty~ said:
So, what to do about motion? I'm sure the dual tunze with controller would be nice, but $700 is out of our price range.
If you add up all the bits and pieces you need to implement the 8-Way (or even the 4-Way) it will be a lot more expensive than $700, especially if you consider power consumption. Remember, a Tunze pair uses only 40W. A pump to get you the 8-way flow above will use around 350W.

I think the cheapest way to go in the long run is to get some tunze heads and a controller. You can hide the heads in the corners next to your overflow, and I think having two heads in opposite sides of the same end of the tank will provide good random circulation throughout the tank.

Nate

Tunze is quiet, efficient, easy, no worries about leaks, and expensive.

OM on a closed loop is quiet depending on the pump you use, very adaptable, hidden, and expensive.

I don't think money will be the deciding factor here. I think it will work out to be what's important to you.

Back