Any one want to build Euro-type skimmers together?

NateHanson

Non-member
I'm going to build a Euro-inspired skimmer in the next 2 weeks, and in another thread a couple people have expressed interest in doing a group-build. I thought I'd make a separate post to give others a chance to sign on.

If you have interest please post soon, as I'd like to place an order for acrylic early this week.

Nate

I'm pretty low on funds until this coming friday ;) I have the tools and glue, and some of the acrylic, but not the tubes I will need. How far is lawrence from summerville? Lets talk!

I'm about 40 minutes away. I also have all the machinery needed up here. It looks like supplies for this will run around $110. If you wanted to go cheaper, you could use a bolted flange around the top of the body for cup removal, rather than a union ($25!), but it's more work to make the drilled flanges, and more difficult to empty the cup in the future.

All interested parties please answer the following questions:

1) can you build in Lawrence on Saturday, 10/16?

2) can you build in Lawrence on Saturday, 10/23?

If neither, but you are interested in the group skimmer build, please say so.

If you are in, I'll order materials for you, and ask that you send me a check ASAP, or swear that you're showing up at my house with cash. I don't want to get stuck with a mint of acrylic scrap! If you are in, PM me with phone number. I am assuming people want to build a skimmer 6" diameter, but about 24" tall. If your needs are vastly different please let me know.

Nate

Last edited:
Hey Nate. What size pump drives this skimmer setup. And, is there a link to the
dimensions to the unit that you are building?
Eric

I'm building something similar to JWebs skimmer in the "DIY Skimmer - advice" thread. It's 6" wide, and is driven by a 400-500 gph skimmer. You can find a picture of it here

Differences that I'm planning are the following:
Instead of a bolted flange on top of the chamber I'd like to heat-form a shallow funnel shape which will be glued to the body, and have a 3"union glued to the top of that.

Also, I'm going to put the venturi upstream of the pump, so the bubbles get shredded in the pump impeller, and I'll probably make an impeller for my pump out of a bioball (like euro-reef)

I'm planning to put a gate valve on the output to adjust the foam quality (see external euro-reefs)

I'll probably make my own venturi out of PVC, and see how that works, but others could order one from an online FS if they want. Not important for the build.

Nate

Last edited:
Everyone else, I'd like to order this stuff first thing tomorrow morning, so please let me know no later than 7am Tuesday morning if you want to do this. Total cost will be about $100 plus the pump. Tell me if you want a taller skimmer so I can get you enough tube. The skimmers will rock.

I'm aware of cost, and willing to purchase. Let's make rocking skimmers! :)

Thanks for doing the ordering Nate---> That rocks!

Anyone else? Please PM me quickly. So far there are three (maybe four) of us, and I'd like to order tomorrow.

Nate

Nate not sure if I can make the build day but I am interested in your parts list. I may try to build one on my own and I have scrap acrylic laying around the house anyway so I don't think I need any ordered.

Is their a part list somewhere that I missed?

Thanks,

Kim

Kim, I'm using 6" acrylic tube (about 18" for the body, 5" for the collection cup), one 3" PVC union for the disconnect at the neck, 3" PVC for the skimmer neck, and 3/8" acrylic for the rest. Also, I'm ordering black PVC fittings for the plumbing, but you could pick up white locally.

Nate

Beats me peter! I'm basically modeling this on the EuroReef CS 6-2 or 6-2+, which Euroreef recommends for 110 and 125 gallons respectively.

My system will be 80g total, but what the heck. Wanna make one? Tell me by 8am tomorrow, and I'll order stuff for you.

Any idea on the sailing plans yet? That may affect my scheduling of this group-build. I assume you got my email?

Nate

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back