Anybody using NSW

I think most of us mix our own salt. Maybe someone can chime in. I am happy with my instant ocean. Others prefer other salt mixes. If you have more than a 40 gallon tank it is way more cost effective to buy the salt mixes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll need to get it out in open water and test it out for contaminates , definitely do small water changes with it so you don't shock anything in the tank

the cost to collect the NSW from the ocean that is contaminated free for use in reef tank is way more than making your own water, i think therefore I am
Imagine, you have to take the boat out far, collect the water, bring them back and forth...and test them to see if it's good or not.....and most surface are usually frozen in the winter months.
most of us, maintenance the tank is hard enough minds well of collecting the real water from the ocean.

Last edited:
my buddy has a 40 gallon tank . all he uses is water from his back yard. he has beach house .walkes out to his chest fills buckets and dumps threw his home made screener heat it and in the tank it goes .hope it helps

I used sand, and water from the low tide line in humarock for the first year before moving. Never had any issues. Used petco water for a bit, tank always looked good. But it all costs $ or lots of time collecting/hauling. I just use IO now, and mix at home. If I move back to the beach I'd probably do it again though.

GET two 30 gal trash barrels put plastic bags inside the barrels
IN the back of my cars trunk
1 12v beige pump with long 20ft hose for sump cheap at home depot
back down the boat ramp in Nahant its free and legal or any boat ramp that's open to the ocean
and not up a river
did that for over 20 years ONLY AT INCOMING HIGH TIDE
best water u can get
tie the bags at the top before u go to stop the water from spilling out

Thank you very much, I have read other threads on other forums and people had luck, I was unsure about this area though. I have a boat and go out anyway, and I'm very close to horseneck beach, this may be the way to do it then. With regards to the pump, how deep should it be? Should I filter it?

depth is no big deal 1-2ft is fine
its all about incoming tide @ high tide mark
filter is not needed if u leave it in the dark for one week
but I used standard filter while I let it stand for a week

guys from NY who collected use to add 1 teaspoon of bleach
not for me

Okay, I'm going to start trying this on a small scale, small water changes at first. I will post results when I start, probably in the fall when work slows down some. Thank-you everyone for your replies and insight!

please post pictures of before so we can start seeing the changes .
it will be a great learning experience !

I will, I'll put a before now, but I won't start the NSW until the fall

Attachments

• IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 145
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back