Anyone use minimax reactors?

JTM4UG

REEFER
BRS Member
Would love to hear what everyone thinks of them. I am thinking of getting a midsize for my 40g nuvo.

If you are referring to the Minimax Sump reactor, I can tell you it is one of the worst products I have ever purchased. You can have mine for free if you want it, but I would feel bad giving it to you. I cannot speak to their other models.

If you are referring to the Minimax Sump reactor, I can tell you it is one of the worst products I have ever purchased. You can have mine for free if you want it, but I would feel bad giving it to you. I cannot speak to their other models.
Wow that's harsh! What makes it such a terrible product?

I was looking at the other models that are designed for the nuvo. If the sump version is bad im guessing those are too.

Wow that's harsh! What makes it such a terrible product?

It’s not really harsh, it’s just the truth. In fact, the company must have agreed because they pulled the product off the market and re-designed it. Unfortunately I’m not sure the new version is much better, but I have no direct experience with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as what makes it terrible...the output gets clogged constantly and then the top pops off and the media goes all over your sump. Flow is also impossible to control. This happened several times in just a couple weeks and then I removed it.

I was looking at the other models that are designed for the nuvo. If the sump version is bad im guessing those are too.

Not necessarily. I’ve used other products from them that I really like. Everybody gets something wrong at some point. The Minimax Sump model was a great concept, poorly executed.

I used to have a minimax desktop version, it needed large pellets of carbon in order to work properly.
It is easy to replace the media and that is the only good thing I remember.

Had a midsize and desktop, never ran longterm no positive results were had. Ran rowaphos and Red Sea brand Carbon. The pump on the desktop model actually broke and shocked my tank. The internal sponges would clog and constant adjustment was needed to keep the media fluidized but not just blast through. On numerous occasions the media found its way out of the unit which was frustrating to clean in the rear chambers of an AIO. These are the only media reactors I have had experience with.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back