API Algaefix Marine Aquarium Algaecide

Hannahhh

Non-member
Have any of you guys used this product? I am really struggling with green hair algae in my tank, and I’m hoping this might help me get it back to a manageable level. It says it’s safe for inverts and coral, but I was curious if any of you have had good or bad experiences with it. I’m open to suggestions about other things or products I can try.

Attachments

• 4309E356-8187-4B77-9031-5920D9D2B157.jpeg
    4309E356-8187-4B77-9031-5920D9D2B157.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 152
As @PSU4ME stated above, all those treatments are bandaids, what type of rock was used, dry or live? What's your nutrient export look like? Lighting photoperiod and lights used? Manual removal and some Mexican turbos ought to keep it at Bay.

I think it was live rock, I can’t remember, but it’s been in my tank for years. The problem started a few months ago, my protein skimmer got unplugged and I didn’t notice for a week or so. It’s been running since, but I can’t get the algae back in check. My nitrates are around 3. I haven’t checked phosphate in a week, but it was high the last time I checked, 0.47.

DO NOT USE!
This product is not coral safe.
It damages the symbiosis algae of coral and can kill coral.
API does not claim this product is reef safe, it claims that this product is safe for fish and plants on its label.

DO NOT USE!
This product is not coral safe.
It damages the symbiosis algae of coral and can kill coral.
API does not claim this product is reef safe, it claims that this product is safe for fish and plants on its label.
On Chewy.com it claims it is safe for corals. I’m really glad you told me this!

I run a UV full time but to help with ich and other protozoans. I've heard good things about the green killing machine for algae blooms though.

It costs electricity and heats the water which in some applications people don’t like/need. In the winter it’s a benefit though

Not one, fish are healthier and a lot less algae on the tank walls, even though the gph is low, mainly for protozoans. If i turn the flow up about 600 gph, then it'll help combat alages a lot better. I had two issues, first, some fish had Ich, and secondly, I used some dry rock that sprouted some serious valonia and green filamentous algae. Manual removal, a ton of clean up crew, and time straightened it out.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back