Aptasia Control/Eradication Options?

ileas

Non-member
Well the peppermint shrimp were a bust, my fish ate them. Lemon juice doesn't seem to do the trick i think the rocks have too many holes and I cant hit the foot. Now what? I have hundreds of these little turds in my tank and its really annoying me. Open to any suggestions. I will probably be buying a copperband butterfly or filefish very soon

If you have fish eating your shrimps, they’re likely not reef safe. With that said, angelfish was my solution to aptaisia. Not a single one in my display when I had angelfish in the tank.

If you have fish eating your shrimps, they’re likely not reef safe. With that said, angelfish was my solution to aptaisia. Not a single one in my display when I had angelfish in the tank.
It was my wrasses and hawkfish. I have a clam and snails they don't bother them

Aptasia-X has somewhat worked for me. Sometimes though it seems like you treat a couple and then 10 more pop up. The last time around (about a month ago) I put twice as much as normal and left all the pumps off for an extended time (30 minutes+) -- left an air bubble going after a while.

I think that, and having an Aptasia Eating Filefish, have worked to control my population.

I still have 4-5 I know of, but they are in caves I can't easily get to.

I haven't actually seen the Filefish actually going after any Aptasia. When we got it the fish was really small, between a nickel and a quarter. It's gotten bigger since then; hoping it's at least keeping any new ones from spreading, and that as it gets bigger it will maybe go after the bigger ones in the caves.

Did you see the fish eat the shrimp? They hide pretty well. I added 4 only have seen 1 but aptasia is all gone so they must be in the tank.

Aptasia-X has somewhat worked for me. Sometimes though it seems like you treat a couple and then 10 more pop up. The last time around (about a month ago) I put twice as much as normal and left all the pumps off for an extended time (30 minutes+) -- left an air bubble going after a while.

I think that, and having an Aptasia Eating Filefish, have worked to control my population.

I still have 4-5 I know of, but they are in caves I can't easily get to.

I haven't actually seen the Filefish actually going after any Aptasia. When we got it the fish was really small, between a nickel and a quarter. It's gotten bigger since then; hoping it's at least keeping any new ones from spreading, and that as it gets bigger it will maybe go after the bigger ones in the caves.
Thinking Of trying aptasiax. Are your filefish reef safe?

Is the copperband butterfly safe for SPS reef tanks? I read they nip as SPS polyps. Not sure if this is really true.

You’ll need a multi-pronged approach for the peppermints usually - they won’t touch bigger aiptasia, but they’ll usually eat the tiny ones. It’s up to you to get rid of the bigger ones and let the peppermints control the tiny ones as they come up. I’ve had success killing off the bigger ones with aiptasiaX and then letting the rest get mopped up by shrimp.
Fish are hit or miss and anything that eats aiptasia can/will eat coral/inverts potentially as well so your mileage will very.

You’ll need a multi-pronged approach for the peppermints usually - they won’t touch bigger aiptasia, but they’ll usually eat the tiny ones. It’s up to you to get rid of the bigger ones and let the peppermints control the tiny ones as they come up. I’ve had success killing off the bigger ones with aiptasiaX and then letting the rest get mopped up by shrimp.
Fish are hit or miss and anything that eats aiptasia can/will eat coral/inverts potentially as well so your mileage will very.
Think I’m going to try fish and aptasia x and hopefully that’ll work

I think I’m going to get one. Do you have clams in your tanks?
ED1E1007-BE29-4762-AEBA-06F4CD90DB0C.jpeg

Back