Aquatronica Aquarium Controller- NEW PRICING- HUGE SUPER SALE !!!

$598 is a good price for this? I could set up a PC that would do 10 times what this thing would do, with more sensors built in for that price, and that I could also surf the web on, send emails, and play video games on.

And 120 price on the PC interface? thats rediculous.

All the accesories (probes, etc) are wicked jacked up too.
RS232-USB Interface $39.99? THATS A $6 CABLE.

I just really hate the 400% Aquarium mark up that seems to be on everything, like these $200 skimmer bodies that cost no more than a water cooler bottle to make for these companies.

Sorry for the rant.

RichConley said:
$598 is a good price for this? I could set up a PC that would do 10 times what this thing would do, with more sensors built in for that price, and that I could also surf the web on, send emails, and play video games on.

And 120 price on the PC interface? thats rediculous.

All the accesories (probes, etc) are wicked jacked up too.
RS232-USB Interface $39.99? THATS A $6 CABLE.

I just really hate the 400% Aquarium mark up that seems to be on everything, like these $200 skimmer bodies that cost no more than a water cooler bottle to make for these companies.

Sorry for the rant.

I agree 100%... (not trying to ding you Armando, just talking in general...) I've been using 1-wire temp sensors (all of $6 a piece) to monitor my tank thru my home automation pc and they are probably the same ones... I'm trying to figure out how the Ph probes (and others) output so I can use an analog sensor for 1-wire to do it myself cheaply. My next project is using some wireless sensors with a float switches ($10 in parts) to use X10 or Zwave to shut off a pump if the level is too high to avoid flooding. To do this thru any of the aquarium based products, I'd be spending a ton more and I can use a lot of stuff I already have...

-Mike

Last edited:
Armando said:
I'm not affiliated with any of these. I'm just a big fan of this gadget :D

Have it running?
How does it compare to your old unit? Big diff? Would love a review, as i am going to get one too.

What do you think are the key pieces to buy?

Scott the thing is really sweet! Years ahead the aquacontrollers. It's all USB based, you just connect a new sensor and the Aquatronica automatically configures it. It's truly plug-and-play. And no limits on number of sensors, as you can get several power bars and chain them.

The power module is 100% reliable, unlike my X10 or my Aquacontroller DC4H that would turn on the lights randomly at 4:00 AM for example.

I am running temperature sensor, pH sensor , ORP sensor and recently I got the salinity sensor. There will be a Calcium sensor available sometime.

I'm lucky that a got a good discount at MACNA but the new pricing is not bad.

If you're planning to get one you'd need the Basic system with the PC interface that is free in this offer until Dec 4th. Then you'd need an interface and probe for each parameter you'd like to control. If you already have the probes all you need is the interface(s).

Last edited:
RichConley said:
... I could set up a PC that would do 10 times what this thing would do, with more sensors built in for that price, and that I could also surf the web on, send emails, and play video games on....
If you are thinking of doing a DIY project, we'd be in. I bet that like most DIY projects it would cost 3x what you expect it to, but it sounds like a fun one for computer nerds like E and I. We just don't have the time to do the comparison research on it right now.

Hey all,

Armando thanks for posting our recent specials.

RichConley- Thanks for your comments and I understand your frustration. Please let me assure you we do not have a 400% markup on our product. The cable may be expensive I really dont know I am buying it retail and am not making much on it. I let each customer know they may be able to find such a cable cheaper on the aftermarket and most times I simply throw it in for free :).

Delta- We agree with you....you should know who your dealing with. We are sure those who do deal with us are happy and satisfied. Remember stories have 2 sides and unfortunately reef central only ever shows 1. We pride ourselves on customer service and bringing customers back. I hope we can do business someday or even just share a laugh.

Aquatronica Controllers- While many may very well be able to design a controller for themselves at home many cant. Aquatronica has spent millions (yes millions) on the development of this project. This team includes 20 engineers develping and testing our units. New products coming down the line are SMS, Dosing Pumps, T5/T8 Dimmers, Water leakage sensor and many more. Our goal is to be #1 by early 2006. So far these projections are on target and we hope we can be of service to some members here.

Sponsorship-

Aquarium Obsessed would be very interested in sponsoring BostonReefers please let us know how to go about this.

thanks
Will

Last edited:
~Flighty~ said:
If you are thinking of doing a DIY project, we'd be in. I bet that like most DIY projects it would cost 3x what you expect it to, but it sounds like a fun one for computer nerds like E and I. We just don't have the time to do the comparison research on it right now.

Will old Macintosh computer (PPC based) good enough for this kind of DIY project? I have more than 10 of them and I can donate them for this project if you can figure out how to make it work. Also, old PC are dirt cheap and lot of them can be have for free. I don't think it need a P4 to run those sensors.

aquariumobsessed said:
Aquatronica Controllers- While many may very well be able to design a controller for themselves at home many cant. Aquatronica has spent millions (yes millions) on the development of this project.

Waoo, if they spend millions to design such a controller, it will explain why those people get paid so well. No offense, but I really don't see projects like this can cost millions unless they were drinking $100/cup coffee.

so they are government sponsored :) J/K

this system isn't for everyone DZ6t:) But they are nice...people who want the best and have the money for it will love it.

dz6t said:
Waoo, if they spend millions to design such a controller, it will explain why those people get paid so well. No offense, but I really don't see projects like this can cost millions unless they were drinking $100/cup coffee.

Research and development is not an inexpensive undertaking. Its one thing to DIY something for your tank. Its quite another to mass produce a product for 12 different countries all with different needs/applications.

BTW- I was in Italy last week and your right the coffee is not cheap!

aquariumobsessed said:
Hey all,

Armando thanks for posting our recent specials.

RichConley- Thanks for your comments and I understand your frustration. Please let me assure you we do not have a 400% markup on our product. The cable may be expensive I really dont know I am buying it retail and am not making much on it. I let each customer know they may be able to find such a cable cheaper on the aftermarket and most times I simply throw it in for free :).

Will

Will, I was not trying to insinuate that you guys are marking them up. I was just meerly frustrated at things like this. I think it is more the manufacturers knowing that they have a captive, small, and generally well off group, and taking them for everything its worth.

Its the same thing as IceCap selling their PC electronic ballasts for $100 and fullham selling theirs for $20. It seems that when a manufacturer decides to market something for aquarium use, they jack up the price.

MH bulbs for instance... you can get 4100K bulbs for like $4. They use them for growing plants, for street lights, etc... but when you go up to 6500K, you're looking at $60. There can't be $55 difference in the chemicals to cause a 2400K color temp shift. Its simply that the market isnt big enough yet that Sylvania wansts to join the fray.

I dont think the aquarium bulbs will ever come down to $4, but I think it will be like fluoros, sylvania is $6 for their aquaglow/plantgrow/etc/ and the aquarium guys are 12-15 bucks...they just can't get as cheap because of issues of scale.

As far as setting up a PC to do this stuff, $6 sensor, and about 10 dollars in parts to connect a relay to a usb port. BANG temp controller. You'd have to write some scripts to handle them, but dealing with USB isnt bad. You could probably use the software schools use for physics experiments... I'm pretty sure that stuff isnt too expensive. Maybe its not worth it for the temp controller thing, you're only saving about $50 over a Ranco, but you have to spend a good deal of time tweaking it.

I see wave makers selling for $100+. Go out and get yourself a Chauvet DJ Light controller...theyre $19.99, and EXACTLY the same thing as those strips that switch outlets (Red sea I think)

THe thing that pisses me off is you so often see people talking badly about products they've never used simply because theyre cheap. Look at hte Jebo 520XL skimmer. The body is $35 dollars, and is almost EXACTLY the same as a euroreef...I think the 5-3... These aquarium manufacturers are making HUGE profits on these things..and why? because we'll pay.

Few years back a buddy of mine was a manager at Best Buy and I redid my Home theater setup and went out and bought all monster cables and the high end conectors and such, well to make a long story short, he bought them all for me with his discount and I got ALL of them for less then the price of 1 set of them ($70 or $80) He said the mark up was like 90% on them and the store makes more money on them then they do on say a 3000.00 TV or Theater system

RichConley said:
Its the same thing as IceCap selling their PC electronic ballasts for $100 and fullham selling theirs for $20. .

wait a minute, are they the same ballast? If yes, where can I buy some? Thanks

Last edited:
aquariumobsessed said:
I understand your frustration. We are all victims of it I guess....Im scared to find out what my last high end stereo cost the dealer :(

For example, the good old Infinity overture 1 that retailed for $1200 a pair, the dealer costs is $200.

dz6t said:
wait a minute, are they the same ballast? If yes, where can I buy some? Thanks

Naw Dong, theyre not the same ballasts, but they are products that serve the same exact function, and both do a good job at it. There are plenty of people powering PCs on fullham workhorse ballasts. CHeck out RC's DIY forum.

sorry that I kind of spun this thread way offtopic. And sorry for picking on you again Armando, I've been really ranty today.

But I think you get a very good point. Also there are so many products that are identical but the price are jacked up when they are intend to sell to hobbists. For example: RO/DI filters.

Back