Are 4 clowns okay?

mrw64

I just bought a complete system off someone and they had 2 clowns. I believe that they are false perks. They look like the ones that I have and they are false perks. My 2 have been in my tank for 3+ months and are about 2" long. The new ones are about 2 1/2-3" long. Will all four get along?
Also they had a yellow tang. He won't get along with my purple tang, correct? They are both about 3".
My tank is a 75 G and I will be changing to the new 120 G soon.

there going to fight maybe not at first but in time sell them or give them to a good home
yellow tang with a purple thats a 50/50 I would sell the yellow tang they can be aggressive ,plus to good size tangs in a 120 thats going to be alot of poop hope you have a big skimmer

You should be ok with the clowns, they will fight, if you notice one really getting beat up, then you should get that one out of there, but I raised 5 clowns from when they were babies and they all got along fine. Just keep a good eye on them. One will grow faster then the rest and that will be the most dominant one (will turn female). If the others are shuddering next to her, then thats a good sign, it means they know she is the boss.

i think the two tangs might be ok. give it a try. there are a lot of people who keep both yellow and purple tangs together. if they fight, then get rid of one.

I bought a Powder blue & a sailfin tang off a guy with a 180g who also had a purple tang in with them. I added them to my system & my yellow tang was quite upset. He's been moved to the basement, & loves it. Al th egrape caulpera he can eat!!
Like all things in this hobby, depends, maybe...who knows?
A lot of fish have different "personalities", ya never know

And I just put 2 black & white striped clowns & 2 percs in my 125g. They don't know they are all different yet; they are all swimming in the flow of my Tunze - together. I just hope they pair up right :D

It would help if the 2 tangs were introduced to the tank at the same time. Could help if you mess up the rock work. If both are going into the 120..should be fine.

I'm not doubting Heavy, but as for the clowns, the conventional wisdom out there is that there should be no more than 2 clowns per tank, unless the tank is very large (like 6ft long or bigger). Still, personal experinece can trump conventional wisdom, so I guess we're back where we started.

Matt:cool:

Matt, your not allowed to doubt me!!! I am always right, didn't you know that. ;)

False percs tend to be one of the least aggressive of all the clowns, therefor the chances fo 4 of them getting along is much better then say 4 maroons. There is no gaurantee, but if I was going to try any it would be them, and I have tried with success, but then again, they were 1/2 inch when I got them.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back