Arsalan's 210g Build

Arsalan

____LifeLongLearner____ BRS BoD
Officer
BRS Member
Hi all,

Welcome to my thread!
I am currently in the process of setting up a new system that's been an ongoing project. It started from an idea of having the sump for my existing 75g mix reef moved to the basement, to getting a 210g display with a 75g to use as a sump with hard plumbing. After having the 75g for 4 years as my first reef tank, I've learned a lot. So I figured I'd do things the right way from the fresh start. So here is what I have/planned so far:

- 210g 72" x 24" 29" DT
- 6' x 2' x 3' custom stand (work in progress - stay tuned for photos and details)
- 6' x 2' x 2' custom canopy (work in progress - stay tuned for photos and details)
- 75g drilled custom built sump (stay tuned for photos and details)
- 2" drain, 1" return, about 26' total length PVC hard plumbing
- Neptune Systems Apex controller (the new one)
- Neptune Systems ATK auto top off
- Neptune Systems Leak Detection
- Neptune Systems Auto Feeder
- Reef Octopus Classic 202s (I know this is too small for my system - looking for an upgrade/trade)
- Reeflo Yellowtail external return pump
- MP40 wave maker (will get a second)
- 3 LEDZeal Alpha 120W full spectrum LED's (I've had the Malibu S300 on my 75g and love it, hoping the Alpha 120's will be as good or better)
- 2 4' dual bulb T5 fixtures for enhanced coverage
- 300W Titanium heater (plus two or three more basic heaters for redundancy)
- 36W UV Sterilizer (On the market for this)
- Spctrapure RODI 90GPD unit
- 30g barrel for ATO (Planning to install auto water changing system down the line)

I will be adding more to this thread, and updating photos and progress.
I look forward to your comments and suggestions!

Welcome to the Basement Sump Club my friend!

I have a 180G display with a 150G rubbermaid stock tank in my basement.

I built a custom stand as well, big fan of this route and looking forward to seeing your progress!
Some advice I have to offer from my experiences...

You should use flex pvc for pump's intake and try to do atleast 3' of flex pvc for the return line as well. You can reduce to 1" for the return line but you need to maintain the intake's initial size for a Yellowtail I belive its 1.5 or 2"
This well help dampen vibrations, expecially with high pressure pumps. I hard plumbed everything and the sound echoes throughout my entire house 24/7 for all etirnity... :eek:

For a heater you're looking more at something around 800W, I went with a Finnex 800W heating element and have it running to a heating/cooling temp controller.
Calculated a 2 degree difference between the water in my display and the water in my sump. Didn't think I initially needed a chiller, but I was wrong. If' you plan on keeping coral I highly advise it!

I have two 55G barrels, one for RODI and one for salt water storage. Both are connected to a pump thats wired to a switch.
I loose about 1.5G of water to evaporation a day, every few days I just flip switch to top off the tank with freshwater.
I plumbed a tap off my return line that runs through my basement's sill and out to a drywell I dug in my front yard.
So when I need to do a water change I open a valve from the tap to drain, then open the valves from my salt storage tank and flip the switch to refill the water.
Also I added a tap and valve off a bypass loop on my main water supply to feed my RO and added a drain line to my waste pipe.
I still need to add a float valve, because I've left the valve open twice now and had to deal with a couple big puddles of water :rolleyes:

One thing I didn't consider initially was humidity. To counter the humdity from the display i use glass lids on the tank which is a bummer because there's reduction in light.
Down in the basement I use an exhaust fan wired to a humistat and ran duct work out through an old dryer vent. Anytime the humidity hits 50% the fan turns on.
This helped with the humidity from the tanks, but durring the summer months my basement still gets very humid so I run a dehumidier elsewhere.

Excited to see photos of your progress and good luck with everything!

Thanks for the comment!
Sounds like you have quite a setup. The salt water barrel you have plumbed to the system sounds very ideal. Same with the dry well you dug in the yard. Luckily I have a drain 6 feet away from my sump, so hopefully the puddles that I hopefully will never have won't be too big. :)
Ideally I'd like to do something similar and somehow automate it via the Apex, after having the system up and running for a few weeks and I identify how much water I lose per day. At which point I can program accordingly to have auto top off and auto water changes occur regularly.

The flex pipe is a good call, I planned on using a few inches, but based on your comment, I'll definitely go with way more.
I also wasn't sure about my heater being sufficient, since I was going to pull it from my 75g. But sounds like I have something else added to my shopping list.
Same as the chiller. I knew I'd need one, but I was hoping to test it out before committing to one. Any suggestions on brand/model/wattage?

Humidity is another factor I've considered and I'm lucky about, as there is a vent pipe for my house's AC, 3 feet above my sump and I planned on tapping a fan into it which shoots directly outside through the wall.

For the stand, I've used 3/4" thick birch ply wood and 2" x 2" and 1" x 2.5" pine as beams and frame for extra support. The pine beams are supporting the frame that is flush with the top and bottom of the ply, to better distribute the weight. I didn't really do any research about this design, but its pretty damn solid so hopefully I won't have any issues (please let me know if you think otherwise!!). I also plan to use a 1/2" thick foam pad to put under the tank.

The stand is currently getting painted (it'll be a high gloss black when finished). I'll post more photos of the finished result. Here is the progress and its' current state:

view

view

view

open

Attachments

• IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_0472.JPG
    IMG_0472.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0473.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 489
Same as the chiller. I knew I'd need one, but I was hoping to test it out before committing to one. Any suggestions on brand/model/wattage?

For the stand, I've used 3/4" thick birch ply wood and 2" x 2" and 1" x 2.5" pine as beams and frame for extra support. The pine beams are supporting the frame that is flush with the top and bottom of the ply, to better distribute the weight. I didn't really do any research about this design, but its pretty damn solid so hopefully I won't have any issues (please let me know if you think otherwise!!). I also plan to use a 1/2" thick foam pad to put under the tank.

The stand is currently getting painted (it'll be a high gloss black when finished). I'll post more photos of the finished result. Here is the progress and its' current state:
view

view

view

open

I went with an "Ebay Special" that another reefer was selling on here. I was very hesitant/skeptical at first it's actually working out great.

Stand is looking good, nice craftsmanship!
Looks solid, stronger than you standard store bought stand for sure.
I went overkill with mine using 4x4's posts and 2x4's beams.

Thank you!
I've been so busy, haven't had a chance to spend much time on this..
plumbing is almost done and stand is almost done. Should be able to start cycling it any day now.
Photos to follow.

ps. I will check for chillers. Luckily in those regards, cooler weather is around the corner.

Is this an Aqueon 210? If so I have the same tank. With all the pumps on my sump, one 300 watt via aqua titanium heater is fine. I do have 2 for a backup but the backup (set 2 degrees less) never turns on.

In the summer I have a fan (controlled by the apex) on my sump that turn on at 81.5 and off at 81. The heaters have been off since probably April. The apex shuts the outlets down at 80 degrees.

it is an Aqueon! I really like the size, though I wouldn't complain if it was an inch taller.
I decided to keep the 75g that the 300w Titanium heater is in, so I'll end up getting a couple new ones - might as well go a little bigger just to be safe.
I'm curious about the fan on your sump. what type of fan / how big? and are you using a chiller?

it is an Aqueon! I really like the size, though I wouldn't complain if it was an inch taller.

Really? I bought a 180 because I felt the 210 was too tall. Granted my tank is sitting much higher than the prefab stands but I'm 6'2 and still have the stepstool.

Your stand is fine strength wise.

Does your home have central air? If so the chiller might be unnecessary.

, as there is a vent pipe for my house's AC, 3 feet above my sump and I planned on tapping a fan into it which shoots directly outside through the wall

This sounds weird to me. A central air unit should not have a "vent pipe" to the exterior, only 2 lines (usually copper) one insulated and one not, to the condenser. Any duct work shouldn't be venting outside. Unless this is not a central air unit. That said who knows. I've seen some weird setups.

I understand why some wouldn't like the height. The stand actually makes my tank really tall, and I'm 5'8" so I definitely won't be looking down into the tank haha.
But for some reason I like the taller setup. I plan to stack the rocks pretty tall so it looks good when I imagine it. Doing work will definitely require more than a step stool though.

Good to hear about the stand. Just finished painting it, and about to pick up a friend to move it into the living room and put the tank on it.

Another question for you guys; I made the top of the stand pretty leveled, but it might be off by a millimeter or so end to end. so just for peace of mind, I bought a sheet of 1/2" Styrofoam to put under the tank. What do you guys think about this? Needed? can it cause any issues in any way or will it be helpful?
Needless to say I'll be sure the stand and tank are all leveled where it'll sit.

Updates, stand is almost done. Might do some sanding and last coat of paint. Then slap the doors back on.
Tank is on the stand, but will by plastidipping the back black before I fill it.
Height is great, and lights are looking good too.

Attachments

• IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 543
Nice progress! Stand came out great, and what a clean looking tank!
I don't think you necessarily need the foam, I would opt for the tank to rest right on the stand.

these are the LEDZeal Alph 120. I emailed LEDZeal and they processed the order. Have you not heard back yet?

Looking good on everything so far. The plastidip back is so worthwhile. Much more durable than paint.

Nice progress! Stand came out great, and what a clean looking tank!
I don't think you necessarily need the foam, I would opt for the tank to rest right on the stand.

thank you, I got lucky with the tank. I'm curious why you would go without the foam. Do you see it potentially causing any issues? leveling the tank was one of my concerns with the foam but it seems to be fine. I filled it with sand, rocks and some water and it settles a few millimeters lower but the leveling wasn't affected.

Looking good on everything so far. The plastidip back is so worthwhile. Much more durable than paint.
Thank you. Yes I'm a big fan of plastidip, and use it any chance I get. I also like option of changing my mind about it and easily getting away with it.

Got about 150lb of Carib Sea Arag special grade sand, about 150lb live rock (but I need / want more) and some water in the tank. I ran out of salt last night so I couldn't fill it all the way, but will be getting couple boxes in today. At least the tank is finally cycling!

Attachments

• IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 474
Welcome to the Basement Sump Club my friend!

I have a 180G display with a 150G rubbermaid stock tank in my basement.

I built a custom stand as well, big fan of this route and looking forward to seeing your progress!
Some advice I have to offer from my experiences...

You should use flex pvc for pump's intake and try to do atleast 3' of flex pvc for the return line as well. You can reduce to 1" for the return line but you need to maintain the intake's initial size for a Yellowtail I belive its 1.5 or 2"
This well help dampen vibrations, expecially with high pressure pumps. I hard plumbed everything and the sound echoes throughout my entire house 24/7 for all etirnity... :eek:

For a heater you're looking more at something around 800W, I went with a Finnex 800W heating element and have it running to a heating/cooling temp controller.
Calculated a 2 degree difference between the water in my display and the water in my sump. Didn't think I initially needed a chiller, but I was wrong. If' you plan on keeping coral I highly advise it!

I have two 55G barrels, one for RODI and one for salt water storage. Both are connected to a pump thats wired to a switch.
I loose about 1.5G of water to evaporation a day, every few days I just flip switch to top off the tank with freshwater.
I plumbed a tap off my return line that runs through my basement's sill and out to a drywell I dug in my front yard.
So when I need to do a water change I open a valve from the tap to drain, then open the valves from my salt storage tank and flip the switch to refill the water.
Also I added a tap and valve off a bypass loop on my main water supply to feed my RO and added a drain line to my waste pipe.
I still need to add a float valve, because I've left the valve open twice now and had to deal with a couple big puddles of water :rolleyes:

One thing I didn't consider initially was humidity. To counter the humdity from the display i use glass lids on the tank which is a bummer because there's reduction in light.
Down in the basement I use an exhaust fan wired to a humistat and ran duct work out through an old dryer vent. Anytime the humidity hits 50% the fan turns on.
This helped with the humidity from the tanks, but durring the summer months my basement still gets very humid so I run a dehumidier elsewhere.

Excited to see photos of your progress and good luck with everything!
Hey can u plz post some pics of your plumbing setup? Very interested to see, thank you.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I decided to keep the 75g that the 300w Titanium heater is in, so I'll end up getting a couple new ones - might as well go a little bigger just to be safe.
I'm curious about the fan on your sump. what type of fan / how big? and are you using a chiller?

I got the fan on Amazon. It was under $30 and it clips onto the side of my sump. The Apex controls it. On at 81.5, off at 81.

For the UV, I bought a Tmc Vectron 600. Look into them. Good price, great product. There is a lot of information on their site. Most UV are clarifiers, not sterilizers.

Attachments

• 20171002_194022.jpg
    20171002_194022.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 472
  • 20171002_194018.jpg
    20171002_194018.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 498
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back