Assassin

Tanked

Non-member
Hi all,

I think I have a murderer in my tank. I'd like to get your opinion on what it could be.

In the past month, a small clown, one yasha gobie and one jawfish disapeared. My tank has been stable and levels at 0 for 5 months now.

I have:

1 Sailfin Tang
2 firefish
3 neon gobies
1 dragon gobie

1 blood shrimps
3 emerald crabs (including one large one, about 1 inch in diameter)
1 large bristle star (Not as big and hairy as the one Jacky brought to the meeting)

I think that's about it. Several pepermint shrimps have disappeared too. Corals are untouched.

What do you think ?

Erik

Hi Eric - Have you been hearing any "clicking" in your tanks? My first thought was a mantis shrimp. They can be there for a long time without being detected .. and with missing animals, especially the ones that you describe, I suspect a mantis. I say those animals because each of those animals hide and/or sleep in the rockwork, and they spend time alternating between swimming and stillness.
But then again, all three are jumpers!

Listen carefully for tapping noises .. 3 in row = mantis.

Mantis, hmmm.

Hi all,

thanks for your answers so far. Keep them coming !

I don't believe it's a mantis shrimp. I have never heard clicking so far (6 months with those rocks). I'll keep listening though.

Do you guys think that any of the other inhabitants could be to blame ?

(It's a 92gl, and it's covered, so I don't believe I ever had a fish jump.

Erik

How long have they been missing? I know people have had fish missing for a good amount of time and then have them show up

Oh I forgot to add I had a fish missing one time and I ended up fiding him in a powerhead that did not have the intake covered

it does sound like a Mantis or perhaps some other species of rouge crab.

I don't think any of the other inhabitants you mention would do in your fish.

After the lights go out get a flashlight with a red lens and see what comes out.

I have a cover. Worst case scenario they went through the 92corner overflow and then jumped or got stuck.

I have a buble tip anemone, not a carpet.

so you guys don't think a large emerald crab could attack a fish ? I saw mine try to get at the jawfish once.

Erik

Tstone said:
it does sound like a Mantis or perhaps some other species of rouge crab.

I don't think any of the other inhabitants you mention would do in your fish.

After the lights go out get a flashlight with a red lens and see what comes out.

Mantis
This sounds about right to me, do the search at lights out thing.

The Jawfish (Tropical Isle) I saw for three days before it disappeared. The clown (Skipton) lasted for a month. The Yasha Gobie I never ever saw (Aqua Addicts). I also lost an Algae Blennie for no appearant reason (Skipton).

Erik

Probably, but one never knows.
Might wanna try the red flashlight at night to look for a mantis anyway, and also to check for killer crabs.

where any of the fish quarantined? They may have never started eating and starved. I know my Yashi took a lot of coaxing in QT before he started to eat cyclopeze and frozen mysis.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back