ATO vs Refugium

LaneBrain

BRS Member
Hey everyone!
I currently have a 40g sump that has a large section (shown on the right) that could either be used for a refugium or an ATO reservoir. I had a refugium in there with chaeto, but I hated how the chaeto strands would get pulled over the baffle and up the return to the display.
The return pump section need to be refilled with 2-2.5 gallons every 4 or 5 days currently so in an effort to automate some things, I’m thinking of using that space for an ATO reservoir (around 15 gallons, and using a reef breeder prism ATO. I’d also appreciate your thoughts on that).

So, my question is which do you think I should run, fuge or ATO?

thanks, and happy reefing!

Attachments

• AD9DF11F-1C62-49CC-9044-B6B157EF5CDA.jpeg
    AD9DF11F-1C62-49CC-9044-B6B157EF5CDA.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 95
Is there an option to do both with the ATO elsewhere? A 5 gallon Home Depot bucket placed somewhere could be the ATO res for example.

Regarding the chaeto strands getting over the baffle, some eggcrate on that top edge should catch most if not all of it.

I used to have my refug in my sump too, I ended up cutting two rows of egg crate and siliconing it to the top lip of the glass to keep the chaeto and other macro algae from coming through. I had my ATO hidden in a bin beside the tank.

is your tank going to be reef or fish only? Refugiums are a very helpful way to have a stable eco system and as S_kelley mentioned there are ways to control the Cheato and there are other types of micro algae that you can use instead.
For my ATO I bought a 5 gallon water jug from Amazon for 20 bucks that takes up minimal room under the tank.

is your tank going to be reef or fish only? Refugiums are a very helpful way to have a stable eco system and as S_kelley mentioned there are ways to control the Cheato and there are other types of micro algae that you can use instead.
For my ATO I bought a 5 gallon water jug from Amazon for 20 bucks that takes up minimal room under the tank.
I’m keeping coral, currently lps and Zoas. I like the nutrient export it provides, so i may just fanangle some egg crate filtration.

image.jpg
I use this blue mesh from lifeguard aquatic I get it from bulk reef supply works great best part is it’ll compress into place. No glue or silicone needed. And it works to tame light spill

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back