Back from the dead build thread...

gurumasta

Senior Moron
I haven't owned my own aquarium for close to ten years but had a couple tanks back when I was a young to mid 20's samurai.

I am setting up a 100 display from SC aquariums 48 x 24 x 20. This isn't a tank they advertise but they do stock it. I really wanted this size because I love the 24" width but I didn't want the height of a standard 120 for lighting and reach issues.

Here goes. Started with building the stand.

IMG_3715.JPG
IMG_3718.JPG
IMG_3722.JPG
IMG_3729.JPG

Last edited:
My wife did the antiquing paint job which actually looks kind of cool once it is all finished and put together. At least I have to say that no matter what I really think...

What are you gonna be using for sump ?
Just pay a lot of attention to that center brace on the stand . Make sure its removable to be able to put a sump in there .
Some sumps may give you hard time in and out !
Overall good looking stand ! Good work !

Welcome back.
Very nice stand and tank dimension. It's very important to have a supportive SO in this hobby.

What are you gonna be using for sump ?
Just pay a lot of attention to that center brace on the stand . Make sure its removable to be able to put a sump in there .
Some sumps may give you hard time in and out !
Overall good looking stand ! Good work !

For sure. Basement sump so center brace in stand isn't an issue. Originally was built without it but we measured the doors wrong so we needed to add the center brace instead of building new doors. Covering our mistakes lol..

Welcome back.
Very nice stand and tank dimension. It's very important to have a supportive SO in this hobby.

Thanks man glad to be back. I read your build thread and it is insane!

I'm trying to convince my SO that's not a waste of time and money lol

My wife is down because it feeds my addictive behavior and I could be doing much worse!

And - Aquarium has arrived!! Whoo hoo!! Delivery dude helped me carry in the house. I tipped him $10 and he was pumped. I actually thought I was being cheap but he mos def did not!

IMG_3734.JPG
IMG_3735.JPG
Flava.JPG

I went with the Skimz Monzster 201 Skimmer. I didn't really care to have a controller pump for the skimmer because I feel it is just one more thing to tinker with to try and dial in..

IMG_3749.JPG
IMG_3815.JPG

That's a great size. I'm with you on the 20" height being ideal.

I'm consistently impressed with everyone with the skills to build a stand like that from scratch. And a nice paint job to top it off (literally ;) ).

It's got a nice sharp look so far. Should be great once the rock is arranged.

Here is where it all goes down..

The reeflo return pump is an animal. It is feeding my display, my fuge and I have it recirculating back into my stock tank sump to keep things moving.

Flava2.JPG

IMG_3820.JPG

For lighting I am doing an LET 4 x 54w T5 retro kit and three hydra 26's.

Had my buddy who built the stand build me the canopy as well since I'm not much of a builder myself... And another buddy of mine helped me wire it.

I might owe some favors after this is said and done......

IMG_3813.JPG
IMG_3830.JPG
IMG_3832.JPG
IMG_3831.JPG

Here is a pic with the dry rock that I got from Love the Reef..

You can see the lower water level before I adjust the height with the herbie.

IMG_3800.JPG

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back