Backup power - Idea, thoughts, solutions?

As has been suggested already, you need to know the starting wattage of the appliances you want to run and sum them to get a properly sized generator. You also want an inverter generator, which produces clean power that will not destroy sensitive electronics.

I bought the Honda EU2000i four years ago. It's a great machine and very quiet. I've never lost power for even a minute, so it's never been used for emergencies. But I do have a barn that isn't wired for electricity yet, so I've been using it to power LED lights totaling 40 watts of consumption. When I start a 6 horsepower shop vac, the lights temporarily shut off and the breaker nearly trips as the vac uses a ton of start-up wattage. So this gives you an idea of how little you can do with a smaller generator. It's great to run your tank, but won't do much else.

Vortex(175) and Icecap (130) offer battery solutions. But if I already have battery packs, how do I connect a battery pack via usb to a pump? The reefbreeder pictures shows such a device. https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/rpm/

This seems to be the device. Will this work? https://www.amazon.com/12V-Voltage-...ocphy=9001923&hvtargid=pla-570831063538&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ailpage_o09_s00?tag=just02b0-20&ie=UTF8&psc=1

One even could go between 9v and 12v. So for under 10 bucks I could get an adaptor to run 1 pump for a long time. I read somewhere that suggested a 20,000 mAh pack will run a pump for 24hrs. Since I have numerous packs, this could definitely work for overnight outages.

I UPS will work too. They exist for less than $100. Is it better to convert to DC or keep it at AC? So if I buy a UPS, should I plug the pump into the USB via a DC converter or into the AC plugs?

Home generator would be good too. My house seems to be on the same line as the fire department so power goes up quickly. I haven't had power go out but a couple times in 5 years, and none were longer than 24 hours.

The Reefbreeders cable is only working on RP-M pump, at least reliably.

The two cables you shown on Amazon won’t work on either pumps you mentioned, you need to buy their battery solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a pump that has a battery backup system. I ain't so fancy! Where are the electro wizards with the right connector???

Maybe I will ask Bulk Reef Supply to investigate. Those guys love a challenge. It wouldn't be the first time that I suggested a product which appeared on their website a few months later...

PS - everyone so far has been extremely informative.

I don't have a pump that has a battery backup system. I ain't so fancy! Where are the electro wizards with the right connector???

Maybe I will ask Bulk Reef Supply to investigate. Those guys love a challenge. It wouldn't be the first time that I suggested a product which appeared on their website a few months later...

how’s the tank doing? I still have the frogspawn I got from you years ago [emoji16]
d3048c1840abb82242372b51e75f1fae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You need a cable that can convert 5v phone battery output to 24v.

The cable in your link will not work. It is a pass through cable, it can pass through up to 24V, not convert 5V to 24V.

That is it. I am putting a mixer attachment in my Ridgid drill and mounting it on the side of the tank with the trigger locked. I will come down in the middle of the night to switch out the batteries. Just need to train the fish to not kiss the mixer blades.

Fish smoothies are healthy alternative to...power lost

Thanks Dong. Those types of units were my original idea. A officemate was looking at something like that for camping. But a $300 price tag is heavy. I have read up on others in the $250 to $350 price point. It is portable and easy to use. I am leaning towards a UPC which I can use with my PC or a Portable Power Station which I can use when car travelling and camping.

Absent someone coming up with an idea to use with cell phone power banks, I think I have exhausted this topic. Thanks again every for options.

UPC are designed differently as they are intended to provide high load for a short period of time to allow the computers be powerred down safely. UPC actually may have less power than a power station and more expansive per watt hour.

For example, these two similar priced Powerstation (167 wh) and UPC (108 wh) are quite different in battery capacity.
The Powerstation also uses newer lithium battery.
055a95ab6a1af3577807ccce549d2a42.jpg

115b647048f146a2f693479d88bbdfec.jpg

These are all great ideas.

What I have for my 30 gal biocube and 5 gal nano is I have a battery power strip on each one that only runs the return pumps. This way if I'm on vacation at least there is flow that should last more than a day I hope. I also have a car AC power converter so my plan for 2-3 day outage winter storm is in any outage basically turn my car into a generator with a long extension cord, in several hour segments and just pay for the cost of gas. All in all I think the battery power surges were $50 each refurbished on ebay. The power converter I think was around the same price too I believe up to 750 watts. I saw a few youtube videos of toyota camry mods to really raise the power output to I think 1-2kw by using a different type of alternator or something looked pretty cool.

My plan isn't to have any lights for the power outage because of the power draw and don't want to risk them on unclean power. It's different for me though because where I live the power should be restored fairly quickly but thought I'd share my setup see what others think.

The last time we had major outage was that ice storm. I no this dont wait till that happens again. I was charging triple for generators and ppl were paying. Thats lasted into the fourth day until every generator down to florida was sold out. Wish we had one a year like that!!!!

Got the last one from Homedepot today.
391941834d000708e968006f15b7cc2c.jpg

This thing weighs like a gas generator, I really don’t understand why it is so heavy.

Last edited:
Since 2010 I have used normal/standard house generators and non of my reef tank electronics was affected. Where I live, starting the fall, we have power outages. Wooden area, too many trees. Standard is 8- 24 hours without electricity. But ot can be up to 3 days. I power all in the house with exemption of the electric/sun-panel water heater. The well pump does work too. And for those that know my tanks I use a lot of electricity.

Never any issue with any electronic.

I would love a generac because of the auto start, but we do not have town gas.

Cheers

Back