Bacterial bloom and nutrients

Use chemiclean and then dose good bacteria.
I have debated this route but no one else has suggested it so I've held off. Hoping to go a natural route.

I'm going to lighten up on my feedings a bit and up my temp. I was at 77. Up to 78 today will do 79 tomorrow and let it sit. Not too but maybe it'll throw this snot out if wack

Chemiclean is Erythromycin Sulfate, it kills most gram positive bacteria and limited amount of gram negative bacteria. Without knowing the nature of the bacteria bloom, it is better to hold it off. Cut off the frozen food may help as it is the only carbon and bacteria source you mentioned that got in to the tank.

Chemiclean is Erythromycin Sulfate, it kills most gram positive bacteria and limited amount of gram negative bacteria. Without knowing the nature of the bacteria bloom, it is better to hold it off. Cut off the frozen food may help as it is the only carbon and bacteria source you mentioned that got in to the tank.
Appreciate the input Dong. I fed pellets only yesterday. Ill give it a few weeks and see what happens.

Been almost a week since I upped the temp and stopped the frozen LRS and changed back to my Hikari pellets and the bacteria has definitely subsided. Nit gone yet, but I can go 48hrs now without cloggs rsther than 4hrs so an obvious improvement.

Tested my water again tonight.

Tell 78
pH 8.0
Alk 10.8
Ca 450
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0.04

So Phosphate is down a touch and Nitrate still at zero. I think I may try and remove a bit of the Siporax and see if that helps bump the Nitrate up. If it stays zero I will keep pulling a bit each week until I hit a good spot.

I had a similar bloom (clear slime, clogging pre-filter) from over dosing phytoplankton. Stop adding phyto for roughly 10 days and it cleared up. When I resumed I decreased what I was adding and have been fine since.

I had a similar bloom (clear slime, clogging pre-filter) from over dosing phytoplankton. Stop adding phyto for roughly 10 days and it cleared up. When I resumed I decreased what I was adding and have been fine since.
Seems a lot of people have similar issues but they all seem to have different causes. I have not does phyto in over a year. Good to hear it cleared up for you though.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back