Beginning quarantine

mrcote1

Non-member
I will be starting my quarantine process in a couple of days for the first time. Ive never quarantined before but will be doing it this point forward with everything. So I will be starting with a mccosker wrasse and two gladiator clowns in a 20 gallon long. The plan is to give them two days of rest and ensure they are eating, then start prazipro and metroplex for 10 days (2 doses of prazipro). Then run the coppersafe for 21-30 days. My question is do I run carbon after the prazipro before the copper to ensure it is out of the water and then once again after the coppersafe? And can I reuse carbon that has absorbed medication on future quarantine processes? I am maintaining a permanent QT tank and will be using the fluval edge carbon packets and it would be nice if I could reuse them but if not its no big deal.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Carbon after the prazi, or a big water change. I’ve read prazi dissipates in the water anyway after 24-48 hours.

Lots of great qt info here: R2R

Joe

Oh i've probably over a dozen hours reading through R2R and other websites on quarantine. But I cant find anything on if Im able to reuse the carbon or not. Because ill run carbon after the prazi for like two days, then remove the carbon and start coppersafe. Then am i able to use the same carbon after the coppersafe or must I use new carbon?

Be careful and monitor ammonia levels constantly. I made the mistake of not considering ammonia and essentially killed a fish/ gave it pop eye and never recovered.

Yea i've got the ammonia alert badge, ive been dosing microbacter7 as well. Im actually very impressed with it. Im about 3 weeks into the cycling for my quarantine and I had another ammonia spike (which I know is normal) and i threw in some microbacter7 and the following morning ammonia is back at zero. So at the end if the week ill add fish

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back