Best alkalinity for zoas?

JTM4UG

REEFER
BRS Member
Im around 10 dkh right now and my zoa growth seems alot slower then when I was around 8. Can anyone shes some light on the best parameters?

I have found it is easier to keep the colors popping at lower dkh of ALL corals
Interesting. I’m curious how’s the growth of your corals at lower levels? Ocean values on alkalinity are 8-12 dkh. I run my alkalinity at 9dkh and everything seems happy. Colors are nice. Curious what low alkalinity is to you? If your running low alkalinity then I would assume your calcium is also low. So that would hint towards slower growth. Right ?
Thanks

Interesting. I’m curious how’s the growth of your corals at lower levels? Ocean values on alkalinity are 8-12 dkh. I run my alkalinity at 9dkh and everything seems happy. Colors are nice. Curious what low alkalinity is to you? If your running low alkalinity then I would assume your calcium is also low. So that would hint towards slower growth. Right ?
Thanks
No, I keep my alk at 8.2-8.3 and my calcium is ideally right where you would want it in a mixed reef. I am satisfied with my growth rates and experiment with different lighting, but relatively similar flow and exact parameters in all my systems. Things have been pretty good since I threw away the one bad batch of salt I got. I use Aquaforest

Ocean alkalinity is between 7 to 8, hardly over 8.5.
Some so called ocean water sold in box that has high alk are supplimented.

By the way, alkalinity has little impact on zoas as zoas do not have skeletons.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back