BEST PLACE to buy a fish online ** Any recommendation? **

I disagree. You can starve a parasite by not having a host.
Agree with parasites, not bacteria and virus. Many bacteria infection are caused by bacteria living on the host. Such as Staph aureus on human.
In fact, on living animal, there are more bacteria cells than animal cells. For example, we have more bacteria cells than human cells.

To answer the question about fish stress and infections, both by parasites and bacteria/virus, it is well documented. You can find those answers online as well as in books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with parasites, not bacteria and virus. Many bacteria infection are caused by bacteria living on the host. Such as Staph aureus on human.
In fact, on living animal, there are more bacteria cells than animal cells. For example, we have more bacteria cells than human cells.

I agree with this as well, Dong. I think some people got confused because earlier in the thread you said that parasites cannot be eradicated, but now it is clear that you do agree that they can be.

To be precise, some parasites can be eradicated, such as fish louse.
But Ich, which include several different species, some can be managed but not eradicated, some can be eradicated, such as by tank transfer method.
It depends on the methods of reproduction. Some ich such as Brook, multiply by dividing, some ich go through a life cycle that form cysts and fall off the fish.
It is reported that some ich can be alive even without fish, they can use soft coral as host, or other marine life form.

The bottom line is that in this hobby, many infections frequently lumped together and treated as such.

Also in general hobbyists do not have access to labs that can correctly identify the illness.

So keep the fish’s immune system up is the way to long term success.

By the way, fish can carry parasites, one form or the others, without showing symptoms. When it is stress, it’s immune system will be compromised that lead to infections.

As for the original question, there are several tips for buying a healthy fish.
1. If possible, buy a fish that has lived in a reef tank for a while. Or from a tank that connects to a healthy reef tank.
The reason is that by adding trace amount of copper in the water, it can mask the symptoms or temporarily prevents out break of infections for a while.

2. Pay more and buy from Divers Den which take care of their fish properly.

If you have to pickup a fish from a store that already swimming in their NON reef tank, QT.

Last edited:
Geeze, if we are going to call all fish parisites "ick" we are going to have a lot of very confused reefers around here :D

That is why we are here for, part of the club’s mission statement.
When we mention velvet, it is a parasite too, Amyloodinium ocellatum. The best hope to fight it off is the immune system of the fish.

As for the original question, there are several tips for buying a healthy fish.
1. If possible, buy a fish that has lived in a reef tank for a while. Or from a tank that connects to a healthy reef tank.
The reason is that by adding trace amount of copper in the water, it can mask the symptoms or temporarily prevents out break of infections for a while.

2. Pay more and buy from Divers Den which take care of their fish properly.

If you have to pickup a fish from a store that already swimming in their NON reef tank, QT.

By divers den you're referring to the section on liveaquaria correct ?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back